Squidfish Forums

Full Version: Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
very very few in buckets today.
It will pick up at sunset. Last night kept bringing 5-minute blitzes with one or two in between for an hour. I bet the South wind tomorrow night will bring them back in force.
It's awfully quiet in here
sure is! couldn't go last noght so I have no report.
No rain today 👀 so how's the catches?
At high tide, I saw one skate and one fat sea robin caught by guys trying for stripers. As for squid, it was mostly empty buckets the whole length of the causeway. One guy was leaving with what looked like two dozen squid in his bucket. Lots of lion's mane jellyfish.
Fished last night very slow only caught 4 very quite out there

Not in Hyannis

It was a blitz
Quote:Not in Hyannis

It was a blitz

Sad((((( I'm itching so bad
Got 6 tubers in 2 hours on a falling tide at JT last night on large pink prawns from Lucky's Bait.  Yamashita Live.

FYI, the DEM was there checking licenses.  He was very professional and understanding.  But if you didn't have your license, he let you pack up and leave.  He didn't confisgate any gear nor issue any tickets that I saw.  For Squid, you DO need a saltwater license.

Just a heads up

I thought squid were not considered a fin fish = therefore no salt water license needed.

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong, I get one every year anyway but would like

to make that clear.

Quote:I thought squid were not considered a fin fish = therefore no salt water license needed.

Some one please correct me if I'm wrong, I get one every year anyway but would like

to make that clear.
Squid are NOT fish. However, last year the State updated the wording on the law to include fish and squid in the requirement for a saltwater license. As such, you absolutely do need a license to catch squid.
For the state of MA, you do not need a license to squid. MA saltwater licese cover NH, MA RI, and CT.

Quote:Squid are NOT fish. However, last year the State updated the wording on the law to include fish and squid in the requirement for a saltwater license. As such, you absolutely do need a license to catch squid.
Yup!

I already mentioned dozen of time last year.

No license? good luck!
Has anyone try salem or beverly last couple of nights?
Boston inshore temp 49.6 its almost there.  Folks have been checking but no squid.

Quote:Has anyone try salem or beverly last couple of nights?
I stopped by Beverly last night, nothing happening there.  I may check back tonight after the Bruins game.
Anyone who is recreationally fishing for shellfish, lobsters, crabs, or squid, does not need a recreational fishing license (or a federal registration). However, a separate RI recreational lobster license is needed to take lobsters, and for non-residents, a separate recreational shellfish license is needed to take shellfish. Additionally, non-residents may not harvest blue crabs.

i just found this at http://saltwater.ri.gov/

im just gonna print it out and show who ever is checking for license.

so correct me if im wrong anyone?

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/rlcrep13.pdf'>http://www.dem.ri.gov/programs/bnatres/fishwild/pdf/rlcrep13.pdf</a>

Yes a license is needed for squid.

Page 4 second paragraph under "Status"
2012? i think they changed again.  The site i found was revised in 8/28/2013. ill show it to the DEM see what they say, cant give me a ticket for a false info listed on there official government web site. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20