The Biggest Squid

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 omen

omen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN, CARS, CHOCOLATE, GUNS, FISHING, HUNTING AND GOING OUT AND HAVING A GOOD TIME.

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:04 PM

G'day to all you squid fishing fans out there, I want to here about the biggest squid you have ever caught and where did you catch it. And also did you use a jig, bait or some kind of other rig like a jig connected to a float. Hope to hear about your big squid stories soon.

#2 omen

omen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:WOMEN, CARS, CHOCOLATE, GUNS, FISHING, HUNTING AND GOING OUT AND HAVING A GOOD TIME.

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:56 PM

G'day to all you squid fishing fans out there, I want to here about the biggest squid you have ever caught and where did you catch it. And also did you use a jig, bait or some kind of other rig like a jig connected to a float. Hope to hear about your big squid stories soon.

C'MON ALL YOU SOUTH AUSTRALIANS AND OTHER MEMBERS TELL ME ABOUT THE BIGGEST SQUID YOU HAVE EVER CAUGHT. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR ALL YOU SLACK LAZY PEOPLE TO SEND A POST ON THE FORUM. YOUR EVEN MORE LAZY BECAUSE YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE TO GET UP ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SIT DOWN AND TYPE YA SLACK LAZY BUMS!!!

#3 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:54 AM

hahaha, biggest squid i caught in SA is pictured in the photo gallery:

http://www.squidfish.net/rosetta3.jpg

it was from rosetta head. it is also the only squid i caught in SA since i was only there for a weekend.

cheers, glen

#4 rapidbayoriginal70

rapidbayoriginal70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 08:42 PM

:unsure:
Biggest squid - have to be from Rapids years ago - a monster caught of a tommy / wire jig - weighed in at 4.1 kg - and nearly lost the rod too.

Biggest bag - from Rapids too - late 1990 - 3 persons - 130 squid - all over 1 kgs in weight.

Ahh the glory days - no bag limits !!

Kappa

#5 Nautilusly

Nautilusly

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

:unsure:
Biggest squid - have to be from Rapids years ago - a monster caught of a tommy / wire jig - weighed in at 4.1 kg - and nearly lost the rod too.

Biggest bag - from Rapids too - late 1990 - 3 persons - 130 squid - all over 1 kgs in weight.

Ahh the glory days - no bag limits !!

Kappa

wow, thats well over 130 kg!! good work and welcome to the forum!

#6 Paulus

Paulus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:48 PM

Heres the biggest one i've ever caught down at second valley.

Posted Image
Remember you cant keep all of the squid happy all of the time, only some of the squid some of the time...

#7 abdiver12

abdiver12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

My largest is a 50 pound (22 kgs) Humboldt squid caught off Bodega Bay, California 3 weeks ago. I still haven't finished eating it. I caught 2 others that were in the 35 pound class and then decided to call it a day though I could have caught more. They are absolutely brutal on the arms and its like reeling in a fridge from 500 feet down!

This big enough for you? Posted Image

#8 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 19 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

That is a real beauty!!!! Great work! :th

#9 Andee

Andee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

Nice catch abdiver12... Was it chewy??

My best catch was off Flinders pier, close to midnight, fullish tide with a silver whiting on jag floating 1m deep, I was stuffing around by dripping tuna oil down my line to see if it would run down to my jig.....then BANG, theres she was,650mm cone.

Do you think the tuna trick worked ever again????NO....tried at least 10 times...

Have a photo somewhere of it....

Andee

#10 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:21 PM

would be nice to see the pic!!! well done!!!

#11 Shihiru

Shihiru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

This is the biggest squid i have ever caught : 1,4 kg ... i have realized this catch on one of my favourite spot in port , it is a place deep and very lighting . I caught regularly several ones weighing about 1 kg over there but in the course of the years , they are increasingly rare .

Posted Image

Edited by Shihiru, 21 January 2009 - 01:39 AM.

#12 babygiant

babygiant

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

Here is one we caught last year. We are in southern California and these squid comes up form Mexico every year usually in the fall. This one might be about 15kg I've seen them up to 30kg. http://ahiusa.com/gallery.aspx