Cape Schank, Vic

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 15 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

I forgot to mention I went to Cape Schank on saturday and it was a fun day. We were very lucky as there was no swell and so it was fairly safe fishing. Though I am told it can get pretty hairy when the seas are bigger. We caught parrot fish. leatherjackets and sea sweep. plus i also caught the following fish but I don't know what it is.

maybe someone can help me identify this fish:

Picture_0045.jpg

(the photo was taken with a mobile phone so its not very good quality)

cheers, glen

#2 Jazman

Jazman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 16 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

Hi Glen, I'm fairly certain that it's a Scalyfin:

http://www.reefwatch...scalyfin_fc.htm

Despite their small size, they are an aggressive fish, and very territorial. I've been bitten and chased by quite a few scalyfins while SCUBA diving :firefighter:

#3 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 16 March 2007 - 02:59 PM

hi jaz, that "Parma victoriae" must be the one!

though the one i caught was not so blue but i had a search on the net and found other pics more on the brown side so must be the same species.

i noticed that the scales came off fairly easily and i presume that is why they call them "scalyfish"!

cheers, glen