The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

Photo

Best squid jig colour

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Poll: Which jig colour is the best? (294 member(s) have cast votes)

Which jig colour is the best?

1. Voted Green (58 votes [19.80%])

Percentage of vote: 19.80%

2. Blue (16 votes [5.46%])

Percentage of vote: 5.46%

3. Orange (49 votes [16.72%])

Percentage of vote: 16.72%

4. Pink (139 votes [47.44%])

Percentage of vote: 47.44%

5. Red (19 votes [6.48%])

Percentage of vote: 6.48%

6. White (9 votes [3.07%])

Percentage of vote: 3.07%

7. Voted Yellow (3 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 13 February 2003 - 11:00 AM

Hi all, what do you guys think?

I personally am pretty keen on orange and pink. But i have been using green recently during the day with some success.

Regards,

Glen :i :i

#2 supersquid

supersquid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:squid fishing General fishing, cars boats camping. have fished for squid for over 35 years learning most of the secrets from my dad who was a remarkable squid fisho.I also enjoy fishing for garfish and King George Whiting

Posted 16 February 2003 - 12:05 AM

Glen
I find when all else fails and the squid are timid on the bite
green tends to entice them a bit better I find

wally
Superdquid

#3 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 17 February 2003 - 07:30 AM

Here is a colour experiment for you all.

I tried two small jigs at the same time. Both suspended under the same float. A green cloth jig and an orange wooden jig. I fished in the afternoon at Mt Martha, VIC.

ALL of the squid took the green jig. Now admitedly this is not a perfect test because the green jig was a foot deeper than the orange jig. ALSO one jig was wooden and one was cloth.

But its a start anyway.

Glen :lol

#4 Guest_Joe_*

Guest_Joe_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2003 - 11:02 AM

Blue 2.5/3.5 g cloth jigs have been most successful for me. Red/Orange haven't worked. A friend of mine who goes fishing with me uses Pink for good results.

Someone told me once that he has a reflective lure that caught heaps of squid. I stuck reflective paper to one of my jigs but so far it's drawn blank.

Most of the larger squid have been caught using metal jags baited with yellowtail. Where I fish, the squid ignore thawed bait. I've only ever had good success using freshly caught yellowtail.

#5 Guest_Guest_MiSh_*

Guest_Guest_MiSh_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2003 - 01:29 PM

yeah the first time i encounted a squid was up north in jurien bay. i was going for anything big by leaving out a yellow tail with gangs. when would bring it in i would see a huge 45 cm squid follow it in. so i chucked the fish on a squier thingy and pulled in two 30-45cm squid. so i think real fish work best for big squid. BUt for jigs i like the 2.5 blue with green strips and it has the bards in the middle too. But if i had to chose one colour it would be [COLOR=green]

#6 Guest_Vince_*

Guest_Vince_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2003 - 10:54 AM

Hi

I occasionally go fishing for squid off the pier at St Leonards in VIC.

What I would like to know is what colour Yo-zuri jigs should I use at night and what colours during the day.

Vince

#7 searle

searle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2004 - 11:43 AM

I believe (from experience) squid are attracted to different colours on different days. Some days I find a bright red is best, but the very next day in the same spot (pehaps more overcast weather) a green type works. With the low cost of these lures, you are best purchasing a few different coloured ones. As for the night time situation i'm not sure. They certainly have excellent eye sight but poor brain power in determining a prawn against a artifical jig (no need for expensive types). I have herd of using a glow light straped to a jig working well at night. Trial and error I guess...Hope the above helps.

#8 Guest_mark_*

Guest_mark_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2004 - 10:17 PM

green is definitely the winner.there are some with a flat back and a small length of wire to tie a prawn .there even better cheers mark .where i fish of the rocks.the fish baits tend to get picked up by huge cuttlefish we struggle to land on light gear .

#9 glen

glen

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 12:28 AM

sounds good mark. i wish i was catching some of those cuttlefish! :)

#10 Island_Jigger

Island_Jigger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 03:21 PM

My favorite color jig would have to be a white body, with red striping. Exactly like a candycane. Seems to reflect surface light well, and in turn, attract squid. My season count was well over 2,000 on an identical two jig setup.

#11 RX3-BOi

RX3-BOi

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 April 2004 - 10:12 PM

i like using my orange one or a multicoloured one :D

i'm in the process of cutting a slot to insert a glow stick

see how i go

#12 Paulus

Paulus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2004 - 01:07 PM

buy far the best i have found is a really dark greeny black brown cat fish jig that i have used. both times i went out with them i caught a squid within the first 10 minutes i think they look alot more of a natural colour then such a bright one.... other then that, definately pink or orange. and definately a smaller size like about a 3.5 maximum for second valley in south oz where i squid...... never had any luck on a 4.0 man i caught some big cuttlefish off the rocks at seconds glen. id be reeling them in thinking i got myself a huge squid my rod bending hard, and the next thing i got these tiny little red tentacles coming towards me :cry:
Remember you cant keep all of the squid happy all of the time, only some of the squid some of the time...

#13 Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, cricket, football........

Posted 27 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

I voted for blue, but i also use green to great effect in the areas i fish, but my preference is for baited jigs!!
SA - the land of the bigger fish. The fish on the east, measure the least, but if you head west, you'll be bringing in the best!!

#14 Paulus

Paulus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 02:28 AM

hmmm i seem to be eating my words and not the squid lately lol. the only luck i have been having is with blue jigs and 4.0 has done the best.... .oh well. i reckon im gonna try that baited jig with a prawny on top this weekend. keep ya posted
Remember you cant keep all of the squid happy all of the time, only some of the squid some of the time...

#15 GreekLunatic

GreekLunatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:24 AM

for me the 2.0 pink jig works good i had a orange 2.0 and did nuffing change to the pink one and bang in 10 mins i had 3 which was a miracle.

#16 Hunter_Killer

Hunter_Killer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

Pink all the way. Squid like munching on eccentric and flamboyant jigs ;)
OWNED.

#17 Krazy Squidda

Krazy Squidda

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Crabbing, BmX riding, Ramp riding and uum all of the above

Posted 27 June 2004 - 06:36 PM

I have only started Squidding , for one yr ive used nothin but green and in one day I caught 12 squid [there was a skool :D and i got everyone]

so green is for me.
0_o Happy fishin o_0
--
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
[.::]-+Cameron+-[::.]
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

--

#18 profesas

profesas

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:12 PM

i have not tried the pink/yellow jigs yet, but ive been using the green/blue jigs with great sucsess on the small squid.
but for the bigger squid, nothing beats the baited jigs with FRESHLY caught yellowtail.

thats my 1 cents!

#19 sandy

sandy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 04:20 PM

Hi Glen, I was told by the Japanese that you should use the color that most fits the area you are fishing, ie Green sea bed/weed use Green Lures as the fish that live there must blend in to the environment
My personal choice is Grey during the day and Red at night

#20 skipper

skipper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:39 PM

If you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers, I dont think there is one all mighty color that will work 100% of the time, but over many years of squidding I have found that a jag baited with a whole fish seem's to catch the biggest squid, so I think this debate will never end, by the way check out this thumper, I think the pic said it was caught in westernport,,,,cheers Pete.

Attached Thumbnails

• 42inches.jpg