The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

Photo
- - - - -

Humbolt Squid Washed Ashore - Westport, Wa

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 red

red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:44 AM

:( humbolt squid in westport wa boat basin.

they are in the marina and washing up on the beach.in 65 years never seen this before.

014_24.jpg
014_24.jpg
0082.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• index.jpg

#2 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 18 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

Hi Red,

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I would have guessed maybe they just finished spawning and then died afterwards? Is that a possibility?

It is interesting to see the guys collecting the dead squid. What are they going to do with them?

Cheers, Glen

#3 red

red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

they use them in crab pots as bait.the dungeness crab realy like them.

#4 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,339 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 14 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

do they make good fishing bait for fish???

#5 squidjigdotcom

squidjigdotcom

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Fishing of course!!!!! I market and sell a wide variety of squid jigs and some other fishing supplies. My website is www.squidjig.com

Posted 21 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

I was down there at Westport on October 18th, hoping to find some squid. Unfortuneately, a couple of days late. From what I have heard from the Fish & Game guys down there, it was from after their spawning. There are likely some still out in the ocean off Westport, but the ones that came in the harbor most likely just came in with the tide.

They can be had quite easily during overnight tuna trips out of Westport for those that stay up for them. Then on occasion, they will come in close towards the end of September. Lots of salmon fishermen were finding them in close towards the end of September.

I never got a chance to get out after them this summer, plan to next year though.

Jon
WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM Seattle, Washington, USA
Home of the World Famous Martinetti Squid Jigs