2 replies to this topic

#1 Dick the fisherman

Dick the fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:34 AM

Morning all

I am keen to catch calamari at night by using a spotlight from a boat. Can members advise of the best (model and brand) light available for use with a 12 volt battery please?

Also, I would be grateful for any tips that you may have regarding the best method to use way when using the light. For example do I shine the beam directly beneath the boat or do I concentrate the beam at some distance from the boat? If the latter method is recommended, where and when should I cast my lure?

Finally, I tend to fish at the northern end of the Bay so would be grateful for any tips regarding calamari spots around Williamstown, Altona or Werribee.

Many thanks

Dick the fisherman

#2 Jazman

Jazman

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:56 PM

Gday Dick,

Is there a reason why you want to target squid with a spotlight? Have you seen other people chasing squid this way? In the past I have tried using a torch to pinpoint squid from piers, then casting jigs to them, with very little success. I have heard of people using a light to spot squid from their boat, which they then attempt to catch with a scoop net.

Why not try drifting with a jig out, without the spotlight first. I have caught plenty at night this way.

#3 Dick the fisherman

Dick the fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 05:54 AM

Gday Dick,

Is there a reason why you want to target squid with a spotlight? Have you seen other people chasing squid this way? In the past I have tried using a torch to pinpoint squid from piers, then casting jigs to them, with very little success. I have heard of people using a light to spot squid from their boat, which they then attempt to catch with a scoop net.

Why not try drifting with a jig out, without the spotlight first. I have caught plenty at night this way.

Thanks Jazman.

I was prompted to ask the question as I recently had the navigation lights reconnected to my tinny. With dusk fishing in mind for some snapper I thought that I might as well try for some squid using a spotlight as I will now be able to fish in the dark. Without going into a lengthy explanation I know that commercial squid fishermen use powerful bulbous lights which extend around the perimeter of the boat to attract squid so I thought, "what's good for the big fellas is good for Dick!"

I haven't tried jigging for squid in the dark as I didn't know whether it would work without a light. Now you've answered that question for me.

Thanks for the input. I'm going out this Thursday so I'll give it a go both with and without a light to see which is better.

Dick