The world's biggest, nicest and most helpful squid fishing community!!

- - - - -

Making Multi Squid Rigs For Handlining

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_peter t_*

Guest_peter t_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:42 AM

;) hi.can anyone help with the design of a multi rig for handlining squid ie.how far apart are the jigs,do they need to be swivelled individualy etc.
thanks peter t

#2 Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, cricket, football........

Posted 10 August 2004 - 04:17 PM

Ive seen this done, and would set the jags about 50cm or so apart........But squid will attack them 2cm apart if in the right mood!!
I would swivel them all separately as well!! Maybe have a fish teaser at the bottom, or top just to get them around!
SA - the land of the bigger fish. The fish on the east, measure the least, but if you head west, you'll be bringing in the best!!

#3 Guest_peter t_*

Guest_peter t_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:59 PM

;) thanks for the info willie,what would you use as a teaser?
thanks
peter

#4 Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

I usually use tommies, gar or pilchards here in South Australia, although i know whiting are popular in other states..........
Any fish that occurs naturally in the area you are fishing would be good!! ;)
SA - the land of the bigger fish. The fish on the east, measure the least, but if you head west, you'll be bringing in the best!!

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:55 PM

thanks willy
mackerel are the commonest fish in these waters[s.w.england]
would you mind telling me which way you present them
.was in s. aus. last year loved the place
thanks
peter

#6 Mr_Willy

Mr_Willy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 12:38 PM

Hey Peter. Im not sure about mack as squid bait, but it might work - a strong smelling fish. As for rigging, it doesnt really matter. I usually use a pin jag with mine, as then you have a chance of catching a squid which hits it, but otherwise, just connect it to the bottom of the line, either tying it directly, or hooking a swivel through the mouth...........

#7 squid head

squid head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests: fishing ..fishing, hunting.. hunting !!!!

Posted 01 September 2004 - 11:25 PM

Hello Peter ,i have been fishing squid since i was a kidd!!i have a good seat upi for you to try if your still looking for ideas , let me know and ill fill you in

Attached Thumbnails

• SQUID_HAULERS.jpg

#8 Guest_Phil Oxley_*

Guest_Phil Oxley_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:50 AM

Hello Peter ,i have been fishing squid since i was a kidd!!i have a good seat upi for you to try if your still looking for ideas , let me know and ill fill you in

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi squidhead Have just seen your setup. l want one please. same as pete l live in the UK and started catching a few last year, more by accident whilst trolling for bass. Most of them are beasts, from about 10" long to about 30". Biggest weighed4.5kilo. Could you kindly help with a system that l could rig myself , be most grateful. As yet we have no regs, in fact no-one fishes for them. Regards Phil the fish