Proof Squid Are Dangerous.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Cement Pizza_*

Guest_Cement Pizza_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2005 - 08:49 AM

Hello.

I am having an argument with a friend of mine. He says there is no proof squids have ever killed anyone. I cited several things I found. One was a story from WWII about survivors of a sunken boat being attacked and one of them possibly being killed by squids. I also mentioned the Mexican fishermen describing the humboldlt squid attacking them. None of these are good enough for him.

He says provide ONE name of someone who was killed by a squid. Can any of you help me here by providing a name or names?

Thanks.

Mark.

#2 glen

glen

Squidfish Site Administrator

• Admin
  • 3,350 posts
  • Interests:Squid fishing! and of course maintaining this website! I have been squid fishing since this website started up about 15 years ago. I hope you enjoy using the chat board!

Posted 15 March 2005 - 11:27 AM

good question mark,

i vaguely remember watching a video on the internet with a giant squid attacking some divers but i don't think anyone was killed in that video! i forget where i came across it.

EDIT - now i remember - here is a link to the article i was referring to

http://diver.net/sea...nd/f_scottc.htm

And here is a quote to encourage you to read this lengthy article:

"As I floated there transfixed, a large squid moved to within two feet and flashed again. Mesmerized by the strobe effect, I didn’t see that another squid was rushing in from my left. Bam! It hit me with a tentacular strike that felt like being hit with a baseball bat square in the ribs. Shocked by the power of the strike and unable to breathe because of a cramp in my chest, I turned to see what had hit me and saw four more squid headed toward me. The first came in so fast that I could barely track it with the camera, and then Bam! It struck the camera, which in turn struck me in the face. I was starting to feel like I was in a barroom brawl...."

cheers, glen

Edited by glen, 15 March 2005 - 11:44 AM.