Squidfish Forums
Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - Printable Version

+- Squidfish Forums (http://www.squidfish.net/forums)
+-- Forum: Squid Fishing Reports & Locations (http://www.squidfish.net/forums/forum-4.html)
+--- Forum: North America & Canada (http://www.squidfish.net/forums/forum-28.html)
+---- Forum: East Coast (http://www.squidfish.net/forums/forum-16.html)
+---- Thread: Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season (/thread-251.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - boxer38z - 31-05-2014

My buddy and I used a LED light stick with a small 12 volt battery pack that will last you entire night on a full charge and very bright for squid. Probably run you about $100 or less for whole set up. Compare to noisy smelly generator which I think it's over kill.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - boxer38z - 31-05-2014

I think people who trash those fishing site are mostly don't speak English mostly asian I have seem what they did to GI which it really embarrass me cause I'm asian too. My buddy and I fish there once a year we pick up there garbage one time after one night of fishing. place just looked trashed garbage bin next to it but they are too lazy to use it or just think there mothers going to clean it up after them. I did however pick up some guys garbage and put it in the trash in front his face he just look at me like I'm crazy.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - ejburbank - 31-05-2014

I haven't fished GI in a few years, but the sad thing is they had trash cans on the bridge and at the parking site and people still threw it on the ground.  And yes, they look at you like you are from Mars if you pick it up or mention that we might not be fishing here much longer if this keep up.  The city of Newport could easily shut down the bridge to all fishing if they wanted to.  Especially when you have the hotel at the end of the bridge and the "beautiful" people might not like seeing the trash there.  I started fishing JT and it is starting to get the same way.  DEM will not hesitate to close it down.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - cirodimegliophd - 31-05-2014

I take time to pick up other peoples trash from time to time and end up scoring all sorts of loot, dropped in the dark. Being cool has it's rewards.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - cirodimegliophd - 31-05-2014

Quote:Hit the beaches off point judith again tonight with a full boat of friends. We didn't do quite as well averaging a half bucket each but it was still a blast.

Fluke are in so bluefish won't be far behind and the squid will move offshore soon no doubt but weight get another trip in.
Been out since?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - BillG - 31-05-2014

Quote:Morning guys! I've been thinking about investing in a generator and work lights. However, I noticed that there are rechargeable LED work lights on the market now (which hold a 3-4 hour charge) and I'm wondering if those would be the better way to go. Has anyone used these for squidding and would they recommend them over the plug-in type that are used with the generators?

I bought a fairly pricey rechargable LED spotlight last year to see how it would perform. It is insanely bright. However, LEDs suffer from two primary problems. The light is extremely directional. In my case, it was a spotlight, so it's supposed to be directional above all else. There are other lights that I have seen which are "work lights" which provide a more broad distribution of light, but they are usually plug-in or clip-on. I have yet to see a rechargable LED flood/area light which can generate the lumens necessary. The other problem with LED lights is they seem to have an issue with water penetration. My theory is that the phased light gets scattered/absorbed by particulate and bubbles. Whatever the cause, you need A LOT more lumens produced to equal the same results of the propane lantern or a halogen flood.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - CalamaroItalia - 31-05-2014

Thanks BillG ... so do you think I should go with halogen and generator?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - JANZ - 31-05-2014

I've got the green LED 2ft light and it goes all night on one of those jump

packs that harbor freight sells for $40.  Had squid wrap themselves around

it.  Very well built, a little pricey, but always works and hangs by its own long cord.

http://fishinglightsetc.com/superbrite.html

On the other hand there has been nights where the one with the most light wins.

Honda 2000 with twin 500 halogens.  Ya its brite but had some of my best nights

under those lights.  Just a pain to haul and set up where the LED tube and jump

starter is really compact and easy to transport.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - greg ct - 31-05-2014

Quote:Been out since?

No, I would be out tonight but there is a nasty storm overhead.  Will be at cuttyhunk tomorrow night, might see some in the harbor.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - BillG - 31-05-2014

Quote:Thanks BillG ... so do you think I should go with halogen and generator?

A lot depends on where you fish. If you fish GI, there is always plenty of light from others. I personally couldn't justify spending $300-500 on a generator and lights to catch $20 worth of squid. You could take 10 party boat trips for less money. That said, if you get out 10 times in Spring and 10 more times in Fall, and you fish a dark, secluded area, it may be worthwhile. I would say not to overlook the propane lantern. Lots of difuese, bright light for a reasonable price.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - CalamaroItalia - 02-06-2014

Thanks BillG, JANZ, and others ... very, very helpful. I was at GI yesterday (yes, during the day) and I saw people catching squid sporadically ... nothing crazy though, no blitzes or anything (I didn't catch a thing) ... did anyone have any luck at GI last night? I later went to the JT docks around 9:30pm and saw people with some cool light set-ups ... they too were catching squid, but again, very few and sporadic. I then made my way up to Wetherill and the place was PACKED with fishermen (using generators and all different types of lights). I stayed for about 30 mins and didn't catch a thing ... and saw ONLY 3 squid caught during that time among ALL the guys fishing there! I left around 10:30pm ...does anyone know if the activity picked up later in the night?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - squidwhisperer - 02-06-2014

Fished for the first time Friday night. Despit lighting the water up with genny and 2 big spot lights only had minimal success. Never saw 1 squid come into our light and very few bait fish. Ended up with about a dozen in total all caught on or right near the bottom. Everything we caught we really big tubers tho. Happy to put them in the freezer and have fresh bait.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - CalamaroItalia - 02-06-2014

Thanks for the update, squidwhisperer ... was this at GI or Wetherill?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - squidwhisperer - 02-06-2014

Quote:Thanks for the update, squidwhisperer ... was this at GI or Wetherill?

We were near goat island.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - pot0mon - 02-06-2014

Quote:Hey guys, quick question. Does anyone know if generators are allowed behind Fort Wetherill at night? I'd like to set up some lights there for squidding but not sure if it's allowed. Thanks!

It is allowed but if your set up by the boat docks. The residents in those two houses been known to call JT police for the genny noise. They will make you shur it off or move down to the other end.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - squidwhisperer - 03-06-2014

anyone that was fishing on the boats under the Newport bridge Friday night members of the forum?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - 1camper - 03-06-2014

I went there friday. It turned up around 1:00am. I ended up with half a bucket of big tubes. I also asked the guys on the boat how they did. He said half a bucket each. I bet the over on that one.

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - CalamaroItalia - 03-06-2014

Hi 1camper ... where was this, GI or Wetherill?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - chuckles - 03-06-2014

I was in newport on an unrelated (non fishing) trip... Drove over the bridge to deer island (I think?) at 10pm and saw tons of people. Where they squidding? Anyone know?

Newport Ri 2014 Squid Season - Matsquidman - 03-06-2014

It's Goat Island and they were squiding!