Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humboldt Squid - Wfo At Bodega Bay!
Captian Rick on the new Sea Angler out of Bodega Bay California did it big time last weekend. After getting cancelled half way out to the Coredell Banks a couple weeks earlier (and getting shut off by the weather last winter), we were really ready to fight the big-uns! I have to admit, with what was like 45 people on the boat, I thought "oh no, this will be a cluster"! And indeed it was a for a bit, but the sea was so rough that I'm sure over half of the boat was puking and not fishing- and they were out of the way for those who really wanted to fish for squid hard. I lost count at 21 squid I caught from 30-60lbs! At the second stop it was so wide f-ing open that while I was dealing with a squid on the deck, my jig was bobbing in and out of the water, and my line was wrapped around the tip of my rod and I got a 40 lb squid and had to madly try to unwrap my line from the tip, not break it off, or lose the squid (I got that one on board too!). I got at least ten of the squid in 30 minutes in less than 100 feet of water, many right at the surface!! We even saw one eat a seagull at the surface! These are mean bastards - but dam they eat well!!! I got home with over 150 lbs of calimari steak! Bring your grubby waterproof clothes - the ink is the biggest mess you will experience outside of an oil spill cleanup! Oh, and don't think that lightweight tackle is going to cut it, there were so many idiots on the boat losing $25 jig after $25 jig. Me? I fished with a 7' 1-piece custom-built Super Seeker, 2 speed Avet reel, #80 braid with a 100' topshot of #80 flurocarbon - only lost one jig! The same stats for my buddy fishing with the same. I saw a lot of people sitting it out becase of no more tackle (as well as puking - at the end, about 15 of us were left fishing). You can't go wrong with Rick, he knows where to go, and gives you great data while you are fishing - and you can't beat topwater fishing - it is like one crazy (and messy) tuna boil! Looking at the stats for depth of fishing for Eureka, Fort Bragg, and Half Moon Bay (where I grew up) - they all fish deep - like a thousand feet! I only hear of top feeding frenzy one in a while out of Half Moon Bay (Huli-Cat). The Monterey/Santa Cruz Boats also seem to fish deep. Top-feeding frezy is common out of Bodega! But one thing I'll say - fishing in N. Cal, versus s. Cal. Everyone (customers) on Rick's charter (and others I've been on) was great (even if they did not feel so good!) - people helped gaff, tie on jigs, give advice, and there was so much squid at the end - that even those who did not fish becuase they were sick got to take home a few 30-pounders - THAT is why I live in N. California! Every charter I've been on S. Cal are full of rude jackasses, and you have to guard your fish to the end because of theft. Thanks Captian Rick, and keep up the good work! We all will be back - tight lines!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Humboldt Squid Mayhem - Bodega Bay California. IVAN T 6 13,957 11-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Last Post: IVAN T