Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humboldt Squid Fishing Off Northern California
I'm so excited, Captain Rick will be starting his Humboldt charters this Sunday and I'll be going out with him maybe twice. I'd go out more but how much squid can you eat? And how much pain can your arms take? I'll be giving alot of it away so if you're in the Sacramento or Bodega area, drop me an email at Nautilus916@gmail.com. They're fantastic to eat btw! Beautiful white meat, tender, no ammonia taste (for me). And when deep fried in bread crumbs, absolutely delectable. Will post pics of my catch here. Have posted a pic below of a small giant squid caught by a friend of mine. You can tell its a giant by the long tentacles - Humboldts don't have them, only arms. Happy squidding everybody!
Yeah my west coast fishing buddies and I will be converging there beginning on 11/9 through Thanksgiving - we are hoping for enough passengers 11/9 onward (and "good enough" weather) to make it a go because we are only 5-8 fishermen (squidders?) per trip! Catain Rick (New Sea Angler out of Bodega Bay is charging $90/trip - cash, tip not inlcuded (he has gear for rent too) and he does not mess around with crab/squid combo trips and just goes for the Humboldts! While we have not fished with him before (we just missed last winter with him and have been looking forward to fishing on the New Sea angler for a year!) he has a great reputation around the bay and has outlasted most everyone else in Bodega (he sure has been nice to talk to on the phone). After over a month of fishing in Alaska and and a bunch of time south of the border for tuna - this will likely be my last run of charters this year - looking forward to freezers full of calimari steaks (anyone have a calimari stuffing recipe for turkey!! ha ha). Our fishing party is dedicated, and unless the boat is about to sink (from weather or weight) we will go for it - and catch squid until the captain has to go home!!!

Seriously, if you have not done this before - squidding is a hoot, but the big guys, well, you better have strong back, stronger rod, and if possible a 2-speed reel - think Alaska halibut fishing. Me, I use a 7' super seeker 1-piece with a 2-speed Avet reel - braid except for the last 80' in 80'lb mono to act as a shock absober, be clear, and not cut anyone elses line with briad - hint hint - be respectful if you are using braid, spool at leat 50' of mono on the end so you don't cut other people's lines with your Spectra!). Bring your rubber boots and waterproof bibs and foul weather great - because thise big guys make a huge mess! Want to see some videos (though the clients here are, welll meopw!): [url="http://www.bodegabaysportfishing.com/"]http://www.bodegabaysportfishing.com/[/url] But it is good video on catching Humboldts!

Also, they are exploring the idea of Humboldt squid trips out of Fort Bragg - watch Santa Rosa Press Democrat fish reports on Mondays (press democrat > sports > fishing blog) for fishing info as this new area develops! They do them out of Monterey and Half Moon Bay too - and later in the year San Diego and whatever that city is to the north of S.D.!! Ha Ha.

Looking foward to a good time with the squidding world out of Bodega Bay November 2009! -Baja Bob!
What are these brutes like to eat?

We dont get them here like that in Oz.

Cheers

Blue.
Two beautiful words: calimari steak !
Hi Bob, thanks for the reply. Sounds like you and your buddies are hardcore fishermen with alot of time (and money) on your hands if you can spend months fishing in Alaska and Baja. That's not a bad life and I'm glad to hear you're Humboldt enthusiasts as well. Thanks for that link to Capt Rick's website, I've never seen it before. Those guys in the videos were lucky to get them to the surface, for us, it was a 500-700 foot slog! That's ALOT of pain on the arms and back. Hope we can get them to the surface this time and get a frenzy going. I talked to Capt. Rick btw and he told me (unlike his schedule) he didn't go out Sunday but will be starting next weekend. Bummer because I was hoping to go this Thursday when the weather's nice and calm. I guess I'll have to make it an abalone dive instead. Like you I want to stock my fridge with some Thanksgiving oceanic white meat and give alot away too. Humboldt squid sliced thin and deep fried in bread crumbs is one of my favorite meals. I hope you guys do great and that the squid are running hard this year (500-700 feet of winding sucks!).

Best regards,

Jonathan
Yeah, let's hope the nasty seas predicted for this weekend go away - and fast! Otherwise no squid for anyone. As to your other questions - time , yeah, I get a bit of time off, money, well, no (just ask my wife!!) - never enough of that green stuff, but with a number of friends scattered across the west, we all can move around and fish where it is hot! I need to go out and chase abalone again, have not done that since living in Eureka a few years ago (running to Ft. Bragg). Good luck hunting abs and try not to get pounded by the surf this weekend! -bob
Bob, check out the waves for this Thursday (when I was hoping to fish with Rick) at this link: [url="http://wavewatch.com/Surf-Forecast-Region.php?RegionID=4"]http://wavewatch.com/Surf-Forecast-Region.php?RegionID=4[/url]

As you can see, we have about a 4-5 foot swell before the 20 foot stuff hits us on the weekend (where'd that come from?). It really doesn't get any better for us ab divers, especially in November, but anyone who goes out ab diving or squid fishing this weekend has some serious cajones! I'd actually be very surprised if Rick ends up going this weekend.

Jonathan
Het thanks for the link, sure beats digging through the mess at the NWS! Yeah, we are chasing steelies on the Klamath this weekend (supposed to be a sure bet right?) with a mad dash back down to Bodega Sunday night. Lets hope the rollers get below 22 feet by Monday! I'm sure all of Bodega will be in lock-down for the weekend with the exception of a few fools trying for near-shore crabs below Droan beach for Sat's opener. Good luck on your ab hunt tomorrow, and let's hope the waves settle for our Monday squid hunt - I'll let you know how it goes. We have some flex and can go mon-weds if the surf is iffy. I lose most of my fishing crew after next week (holidays, families etc.) but a few of us who love here in Nor Cal will still come over to Bodega for a few trips as long as Humboldt squid trips are run out of Bodega - and I'll post data for all. Lets just hope for solid charter patrons who don't go "meow" every time they hook into something over 20lbs and shorten our days! FYI. -bob.
Bob, best of luck on the Klamath this weekend, you sure do get around. I heard the steelies are still running very well up there though the season is winding down. The forecast is for rain tomorrow so I guess I'll be getting wet both in and out of the water. There's nothing more enjoyable than hiking up a steep cliff with all your diving equipment, in the rain, with 3 heavy abalone on your back! Sometimes I wonder why I do it. I hope you guys do great this weekend and next week with the squid and do let me know how it goes. I caught a 50 pounder the last time (the biggest of the day) and I hope to get a bigger one this time around. I'm thinking of squid stuffed with turkey for this Thanksgiving though I'll probably be the only one eating it!

Regards,

Jonathan
[quote name='bajadude' post='16728' date='Nov 3 2009, 04:24 AM']Yeah my west coast fishing buddies and I will be converging there beginning on 11/9 through Thanksgiving - we are hoping for enough passengers 11/9 onward (and "good enough" weather) to make it a go because we are only 5-8 fishermen (squidders?) per trip! Catain Rick (New Sea Angler out of Bodega Bay is charging $90/trip - cash, tip not inlcuded (he has gear for rent too) and he does not mess around with crab/squid combo trips and just goes for the Humboldts! While we have not fished with him before (we just missed last winter with him and have been looking forward to fishing on the New Sea angler for a year!) he has a great reputation around the bay and has outlasted most everyone else in Bodega (he sure has been nice to talk to on the phone). After over a month of fishing in Alaska and and a bunch of time south of the border for tuna - this will likely be my last run of charters this year - looking forward to freezers full of calimari steaks (anyone have a calimari stuffing recipe for turkey!! ha ha). Our fishing party is dedicated, and unless the boat is about to sink (from weather or weight) we will go for it - and catch squid until the captain has to go home!!!

Seriously, if you have not done this before - squidding is a hoot, but the big guys, well, you better have strong back, stronger rod, and if possible a 2-speed reel - think Alaska halibut fishing. Me, I use a 7' super seeker 1-piece with a 2-speed Avet reel - braid except for the last 80' in 80'lb mono to act as a shock absober, be clear, and not cut anyone elses line with briad - hint hint - be respectful if you are using braid, spool at leat 50' of mono on the end so you don't cut other people's lines with your Spectra!). Bring your rubber boots and waterproof bibs and foul weather great - because thise big guys make a huge mess! Want to see some videos (though the clients here are, welll meopw!): [url="http://www.bodegabaysportfishing.com/"]http://www.bodegabaysportfishing.com/[/url] But it is good video on catching Humboldts!

Also, they are exploring the idea of Humboldt squid trips out of Fort Bragg - watch Santa Rosa Press Democrat fish reports on Mondays (press democrat > sports > fishing blog) for fishing info as this new area develops! They do them out of Monterey and Half Moon Bay too - and later in the year San Diego and whatever that city is to the north of S.D.!! Ha Ha.

Looking foward to a good time with the squidding world out of Bodega Bay November 2009! -Baja Bob![/quote]

Hi Baja Bob!

I am interested in going on a fishing trip to document a group catching these jumbo squid. I am a student am willing to pay to get on a trip so that I can see them up close and possibly get a beak. I am studying their northward migration and the effeect it may have on our commercial supply. There are few trips advertised in the bay, though I am sure we will se more in the future. If your group has space, maybe I could come take pictures and stay out of your way? I am willing to pay my share. If not on your trip, do you haver the contact information for this boat? I may be able to organize another group. Any informattion that you would share with me would be helpful.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  California Giant Squid Report 2008 glen 4 14,237 08-08-2019, 03:14 PM
Last Post: KamLoory
  California Giant Squid Report 2007 glen 35 57,003 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Last Post: carloswith47
  California Giant Squid Reports 2009 glen 0 7,137 08-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Last Post: glen