Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Prfer To Cook / Eat Your Squid
This has probably been done somewhere else on squidfish but what is your favorite way to cook / eat the squid you catch ?

Dr Z.
crumb rings and deep fry for 30 seconds ONLY.

mug
make squid your friend...then bag them
there's 3 squid in my esky on ice and we'll see if we can add a few more to that tonight and have a good old crumb up for sunday dinner or lunch....I'm not fussy.

mug
make squid your friend...then bag them
I love to fry them with flour and little salt.
Sashimi style with a little hot sauce is good. But only if you like the raw flavor, like the taste of raw oysters or quaghogs.
I slice up the mantle flaps thinly and drop into a bowl of Kikkoman soy sauce and wasabi and eat as sashimi- sometimes add a drop of sesame oil.the tentacles I do as tempura using ice water ( important!!) And the tube I eat as sashimi or calamari rings. The ink I use for pasta.
So I like Ika Nagiri (raw squid wrapped onto a sushi rice pillow), but I prefer par-boiling the squid and then wrapping the squid onto the rice with a strip of nori seaweed. When I say parboil I mean dropping it into boiling water for about 3-5 seconds. Gives the squid a crunchy texture and I think it brings out its fish flavor versus its raw ocean flavor (like clams and sea urchin/uni).

I love to add the head and tentacles into my ramen. I currently don't eat the eyes but I see many asians do so I'm open to trying it in my ramen. Anyone else eat the eyes?
I like squid prepared in many different ways. Most often I'll slice it into rings and boil for 30 seconds or so, then add it to a thai-style salad. I also will slow-cook it in marinara sauce until tender and eat over pasta, Raw with soy/wasabi is always good too, but prob my favorite way is deep-fried with a coating of a special granular corn flour I get at the asian markets. It comes out sooo crispy and good that way. Yum!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to cook a squid? Puggy 4 9,239 07-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Last Post: Stuch79
  Is Squid Healthy To Eat? Bent_Rod 5 45,134 30-01-2010, 07:49 PM
Last Post: bluewaterhunter
  How Do I Cook Squid So It Does Not Come Out Gummy Or Chewy dadkra 2 10,444 26-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Zex