Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NZ Squid Season
Hey guys,

I've been googling and reading the forum but having trouble finding details on if there is a prime squid season to fish them? I've been out serveral time last year around Oct which is near end of winter here in NZ. I would like to start again this year but not sure when it is worth heading out to try my luck again.

Any tips would be much appreicated!
For Japanese Calamari they like water temps around 16 degrees for spawning. And if they are anything like the ones in Japan you might be able to catch then now.
hi face,

unfortunately we don't have many nz members in the forum. so it might be a while before you get a response here.

if i were you, i would write to the local nz fish and game office as they can be pretty helpful. I have gone fishing many times in new zealand but usually fly fishing for trout. So i never did much sea fishing. I always kept an eye out for squid but never saw any.

all the phone numbers of the fish and game regional offices are on this page.

[url="http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/tools/email.aspx?SECT=Contact"]http://www.fishandgame.org.nz/tools/email.aspx?SECT=Contact[/url]

cheers, glen
Hi there,

The squid are just coming on around Auckland now. I have been told that this is a little early but they are being caught at the moment. Apparently Tamaki Drive near Kelly Tarltons is starting to work well.

As for the rest of N.Z. I am not sure.

I am just gearing up for hunting squid over the winter at the moment.

Cheers,

WC.
hey woodchip

if I remember right there's a jetty just near kelly tarltons...been over for 2 campervan holiday treks around the north Island and have been from top to bottom.

another place to try is takapuna boat ramp...saw heeps of asians fishing for squid there at the start of our second trip and at the end too cause we stayed at takapuna park for those nights.

lots of places to try over that way.

r u 1 2 mug
make squid your friend...then bag them
Hi r u 1 2 mug

I have only been exploring the squid fishing scene in Auckland for a week or so. I live out east (Howick) and have been exploring the waters out that way. Had a chat to one of the local tackle shop owners who is into squid fishing. It seems to be a very underrated fishery here. I am exploring some non-traditional areas at the moment - that is - there is no sign of fishing, squid or otherwise at the time I was there. Caught one Broady on thursday evening so they are in the area. There are other areas I will explore as the winter goes on. The weather is a bit off at the moment.

Cheers,

WC
Hi guys

I went squidding last night and got no luck at the boat ramp by Kelly Tarltons...I initially tried to fish at the takapuna boat ramp but it was too windy.

I'm blaming the weather...though it was my first attempt at squidding..lol

If any of you are going, I'll be keen to tag along!

Nick