Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saltwater Fishing License
hello fellow squidders:

From what I heard, it is inevitable that all New England states will adopt some form of saltwater fishing license soon. I believe it's from the Feds. NH House has just passed it and I am sure RI is not far behind. If RI does enact the saltwater license, how will this impact you? Will you pay $20-25 (it may be more for out of state people like me) a year just fish there a couple times?

What do you think about saltwater license in general? I live in Mass and I fishing in RI, NH and ME for saltwater fishing over the fishing season (start with squid fishing in RI). I don't mind one license if I can fish in all states but if I have to buy a license for each state, I think I will need to cut back to my fishing trip to NH or ME.

I welcome people's comments in this topic.

Ahgigi
[quote name='ahgigi' post='14127' date='Mar 30 2009, 01:23 PM']hello fellow squidders:

From what I heard, it is inevitable that all New England states will adopt some form of saltwater fishing license soon. I believe it's from the Feds. NH House has just passed it and I am sure RI is not far behind. If RI does enact the saltwater license, how will this impact you? Will you pay $20-25 (it may be more for out of state people like me) a year just fish there a couple times?

What do you think about saltwater license in general? I live in Mass and I fishing in RI, NH and ME for saltwater fishing over the fishing season (start with squid fishing in RI). I don't mind one license if I can fish in all states but if I have to buy a license for each state, I think I will need to cut back to my fishing trip to NH or ME.

I welcome people's comments in this topic.

Ahgigi[/quote]

i strictly saltwater fish RI these days. I obv have fished other waters. i don't mind the license, doesn't bother me. 20 bucks well spent in my book for the amount of use it will get. if i ever move and i need to get a license there, i shall get one...
The saltwater fishing license is a hot button issue for me. I have never nor do I think I will ever see anything come out of it other than a revenue stream for the government. that isn't to say that there are not people who could do some good with the money. I just view it as giving money to do with as they please because they don't have the manpower to enforce almost any regulations they put forth. I can remember one year fishing for blackfish in RI and calling DEM to come down because I saw a a family let a kid keep what must of been a 8 inch tog and every time the kid reeled it in they would cast the fish back out so he could do it again. when the officer showed up they cut the line that was out the window the DEM office didn't have a tape measure on him to measure the other fish. I gave him mine. then he measured some guys scup and didn't even realize that the scup season was closed at that point. all this just for nothing no one ticketed nothing. they don't know what they are doing and that is one of the two times i have ever sen a DEM officer in my 18 years of fishing salt water. it is waste to support something they cant.

here is what I do know about the fishing license as it stands today. Mass will be implementing a license next year the almost final plan is to have it cost 15 flat for either in or out of state. RI finance committee tried to pass through a license fee recently without even the DEM director knowing. apparently he showed up at the meeting and said he would neither support or enforce any license that was not able to support fishing (I gave him a round of applause for this at least he stuck up for us). the talk now is for RI to be 20 for resident 45 for non resident. although this is in the preliminary stages and will most likely be reconsidered. the thought behind this is that if your state does not have a license in place within two years I believe you will have to buy a 40 dollar federal stripper license so it is a case of pay the devil you know or the one you don't.so expect Mass next year and RI in 2010.

my hope is that RI goes with the inclusion instead of exclusion policy that mass has adopted. make it affordable for everyone if we have no choice. and it makes way to much sense to make a regional license like a MA, RI , CT because there is no way to properly distribute funds based upon that fishing population don't contribute equally based upon population. So although I am not excited about it and think I will never see a return on this money other than the cost going up over the years. there is a study out there on fishing license cost over time and RI and MA at the current rate it will cost the average person over 100 dollars for the right to fish within the next 15 - 20 years. although I don't really agree with some of the variable calculations at least someone took a stab at it. that's my peace hope it was helpful and informative. also some of what I understand to be true was told to me second hand so please don't take this as absolute scripture.
When it comes to saltwater, I fish almost exclusively in Rhodie. I do NOT however support a saltwater license in rhodie b/c the money will not go into conservation/fisheries. It will instead go into the general fund. (more likely in some politicians back pocket knowing rhodie politics)

I have no problem supporting a regional license IF the money goes back into those fisheries in one form or another. EVerything i've heard is that RI will not honor the other states licenses and will require its own. Who knows at this point.
Squid: The other other OTHER white meat
[quote name='flukeprodigy' post='14138' date='Mar 31 2009, 09:36 AM']When it comes to saltwater, I fish almost exclusively in Rhodie. I do NOT however support a saltwater license in rhodie b/c the money will not go into conservation/fisheries. It will instead go into the general fund. (more likely in some politicians back pocket knowing rhodie politics)

I have no problem supporting a regional license IF the money goes back into those fisheries in one form or another. EVerything i've heard is that RI will not honor the other states licenses and will require its own. Who knows at this point.[/quote]

i certainly hear what you're humming, but life is too short to worry about 20 bucks a year for monster bass, tuna, squid, ect... good times with friends, family, enjoying being a steward of the sea....

if my 20 bucks goes to the general fund and it helps keep (for example) some police officer or fireman employed then i'm all for it,,,, never know when you're going to need that officers help.

granted this state does not have a strong history of clean politics but i'd hope at this point we'd (the state) would be looking at the betterment of the state, not ones own pockets...
[quote name='KingSquidWithTheBiggest...' post='14139' date='Apr 1 2009, 12:00 AM']i certainly hear what you're humming, but life is too short to worry about 20 bucks a year for monster bass, tuna, squid, ect... good times with friends, family, enjoying being a steward of the sea....

if my 20 bucks goes to the general fund and it helps keep (for example) some police officer or fireman employed then i'm all for it,,,, never know when you're going to need that officers help.

granted this state does not have a strong history of clean politics but i'd hope at this point we'd (the state) would be looking at the betterment of the state, not ones own pockets...[/quote]

I agree with you in that regard and its not about the money. Its the fact that the money is being collected on behalf of fisherman, yet its not going back into the fisheries to benefit the very people being "taxed" if you will.

You'd think the state would be more concerned with bettering itself but I think we can all agree politicians say one thing, then do another. Obama is a prime example but i won't turn this into a political debate.

Bottom line, if the money collected gets put to good use, I will pay it. Who in their right mind wouldn't pay the $20 to have access to the best saltwater fishing in the N.E.
[quote name='flukeprodigy' post='14140' date='Mar 31 2009, 10:20 AM']I agree with you in that regard and its not about the money. Its the fact that the money is being collected on behalf of fisherman, yet its not going back into the fisheries to benefit the very people being "taxed" if you will.

You'd think the state would be more concerned with bettering itself but I think we can all agree politicians say one thing, then do another. Obama is a prime example but i won't turn this into a political debate.

Bottom line, if the money collected gets put to good use, I will pay it. Who in their right mind wouldn't pay the $20 to have access to the best saltwater fishing in the N.E.[/quote]

If you look at all the southern states below MD, they require a fishing license to fish the state's waters. If you wanted to turn it into a political debate I believe down south are Republican states. It's about time it made it to RI so dumb ass tri-staters won't cluster our waters.
[quote name='Squid_Man' post='14141' date='Apr 1 2009, 02:30 AM']If you look at all the southern states below MD, they require a fishing license to fish the state's waters. If you wanted to turn it into a political debate I believe down south are Republican states. It's about time it made it to RI so dumb ass tri-staters won't cluster our waters.[/quote]

I'm not sure how to address your post b/c I can't tell if you're being sarcastic , arrogant or a combination of both.

Are you complaining that people from out of state fish in rhode island waters? From the sound of your "dumbass tri-stater" comment, I would assume so. Also I clearly said "I DON'T WANT TO TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL DEBATE"
[quote name='flukeprodigy' post='14138' date='Mar 31 2009, 11:36 PM']When it comes to saltwater, I fish almost exclusively in Rhodie. I do NOT however support a saltwater license in rhodie b/c the money will not go into conservation/fisheries. It will instead go into the general fund. (more likely in some politicians back pocket knowing rhodie politics)

I have no problem supporting a regional license IF the money goes back into those fisheries in one form or another. EVerything i've heard is that RI will not honor the other states licenses and will require its own. Who knows at this point.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the problem I have with these "licenses". The money usually goes into state's general fund and you never see it again. It becomes another way the government to milk money from people. I don't mind having one "regional" license that would allow one to fish in all NE states. But if each state wants a license, that's a bit too much. Imagine if each state requires a driver's license to drive in that state?
As an update to my earlier post I have found out a bit more info about the RI saltwater license. The latest to come out of the license advisory council and this is the way they appear to be leaning right now is that next year Rhode Island will have a Saltwater fishing license and the cost will only be $3. You will still have to participate in a survey each year and must have internet access to get the license, although some bait shops are considering putting together saltwater license computers for access. From what I understand the $3 license is just about a done deal they are working on administrative issues at this point. Other things also of note are that there was talk that RI would also accept any out of state saltwater fishing license as being compliant and you would not need to pay an additional $3 (I can't confirm or deny with any certainty). Also as a result a rumor has started that Mass may knock their license down to $10 to shorten the disparity between states. Although I reserve doubt as this is still in the negotiating stage and some of this may change I trust those who gave this report to me. So I am taking this as what will come.
Thank you for the information it is very helpful to me!!!!!!!!!
I live in the state of NSW (Eastcoast of Australia),we have a 1000 miles of seacoast & v good fishing.Marlin,Tuna etc.A saltwater licence was introduced 5yrs ago, $5/3days,$10/month,$25/yr,all money goes to Fisheries and is spent on improving fish stocks,data,regulation.It can only be used on recreational fishing improvements.Most anglers are happy with the results.The young & retired, fish for free
K F
[quote name='flukeprodigy' post='14142' date='Mar 31 2009, 03:52 PM']I'm not sure how to address your post b/c I can't tell if you're being sarcastic , arrogant or a combination of both.

Are you complaining that people from out of state fish in rhode island waters? From the sound of your "dumbass tri-stater" comment, I would assume so. Also I clearly said "I DON'T WANT TO TURN THIS INTO A POLITICAL DEBATE"[/quote]

I apologize if I insulted you. I did not mean to do so. I believe the fishing license should only be applicable towards out of state residents. I believe the enforcement of the license is to reduce the amount of recreational fisherman and to help fund the Rhode Island's Treasury. There has been a decline in specific finfish such as Scup which is undergoing judicial review for it the regulation of the species. That's where the problem lies. There hasn't been much of an increase in recreational fisherman 20 years ago up until now. The fingers need to be pointed at the commercial fishing industry of Rhode Island. That's were I believe there needs tighten the quota of finfish. But then again, Rhode Island is a corrupted state and it starts with our Governer.
[quote name='Squid_Man' post='14356' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:31 PM']I apologize if I insulted you. I did not mean to do so. I believe the fishing license should only be applicable towards out of state residents. I believe the enforcement of the license is to reduce the amount of recreational fisherman and to help fund the Rhode Island's Treasury. There has been a decline in specific finfish such as Scup which is undergoing judicial review for it the regulation of the species. That's where the problem lies. There hasn't been much of an increase in recreational fisherman 20 years ago up until now. The fingers need to be pointed at the commercial fishing industry of Rhode Island. That's were I believe there needs tighten the quota of finfish. But then again, Rhode Island is a corrupted state and it starts with our Governer.[/quote]

No offense taken. I agree that the draggers are the ones who's regulations need to be revisited, not the recreational fisherman. We're not the ones taking 14" fluke and producing mass amounts of bio kill.

Rhodie is corrupt...plain and simple. Its business as usual w/ those crooks in office. (as is the case everywhere else these days)
I lived for some years in the USA,saying state admin is corrupt is a cop out pure &simple ,everywhere there are organized groups who will push their profits above sustainable harvesting.

Short "Terminism",is a common political fault.

It has caused the latest financial crisis,and will be the cause for more problems if we allow these Bank Presidents,Politicians,Executives,and overpaid Ratbegs,who will stuff the economy for private , personal financial gain.

They do not care about you /me or anyone but themselves,the ultimate "NARCISISITIS"

We desperately need a grroup of pollies who have a core belief in the common good and are prepared to stand up for it.
K F
I went to the saltwater fishing license meeting at the URI bay campus meeting last night. I was the only recreational angler there who was not associated with one of the groups represented on the advisory board. In fact there were only about 8 people there who weren’t on the board. The reason for the meeting last night was to finalize a resolution on the framework of the license. The framework was revisited on the suggestion of the representative who was going to sponsor the bill in the house and the director of DEM who believed the original 3$ proposal did not do enough.

At the meeting 3 options were presented A. was a bare bones do just enough to get by which was the 3 dollar version. B. Was an increased version for extra funding for expanded surveyors for increased reliability in the collected data, and for 3.0 FTE and vehicles for new officers for enforcement for about 5 dollars. Option C. was the largest in scope expanding on both A and B just a bit more and putting in a provision for infrastructure improvement and repair (meaning docks and ramps and shore access). That option was in the range of the 7-10 dollars.

The discussion was around which to adopt in the end the board went with option C. The framework of this option is that instate will be 7 dollars annual. Out of state will be 10 dollars annual. And there is a provision for a 5 dollar 7day license. Also included in the packet there was the framework as currently available for New Jersey, New York, Conn, mass, NH, and Maine licenses. What was proposed is in line with Mass and CT. There was discussion for a one flat fee but it gained only little support. The hardest fight of the night was to get the 5$ for 1 week included.

Things of note according to the state representative and the director of DEM that as this is a license all revenue as such is placed in a restricted account and is not available in the general fund. This means that all funds should go directly back into the program. The other part that is far more reliable than that is the fact that the program will get matching federal funds which means if the state takes money from that fund then they run the risk of loosing federal funds for all other programs. As the representative put it don’t get greedy do what you need to get done and keep it small so the state wont touch it they wont go after 500k when they stand at risk to loose millions.

Also out of the meeting RI will accept any out of state resident saltwater fishing license as a license in RI as long as that state reciprocates the RI license. As it is now according to what’s happening in other states if you have a resident license in mass RI or CT you will be able to fish in any of them under that license.

My only real concerns are with the expanded program because accounts are secure under some bad math they estimated that possible 250k could be raised for infrastructure yearly now I asked the question about if they currently are receiving about 1 mil from the state for infrastructure what’s to stop the state from taking back 250k to even it out. The explanation from the DEM director as I understood it was that it is possible they could do that he seemed optimistic they wouldn’t. he justified it and I mildly agree that the money received through this program is locked away and cant be touched so as year to year if the state funding goes up and down like in the past this money can be banked to secure the improvement costs without concern of the budget.

This is my update as I know it now I can say this is no longer hearsay I went to the meeting and this is what came out of it. If there are any changes I will update and as they post the links for the meeting minutes or reports I will add them. Still not final but looking brighter.
i guess there's no free recreational activity available anymore... we can say goodbye to the good old days...

[quote name='NeverBlanked' post='14875' date='May 7 2009, 09:46 AM']This is my update as I know it now I can say this is no longer hearsay I went to the meeting and this is what came out of it. If there are any changes I will update and as they post the links for the meeting minutes or reports I will add them...[/quote]

Thanks NeverBlanked, by far the best intel Ive seen. Appreciated...

-Tatonka-