Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squid Fishing from a Kayak?
My name is Jeff and I live down south in Westerly, RI. The last few years I've been fishing from a pier at night for squid (with exception to one trip on the frances fleet). I've seen some posts on day squiding from a Kayak. My summer thing is to fish for porgys from my Kayak. Its not a fishing kayak but I make it work well and I'm very comfortable in the ocean. 

So I have a couple questions I hope anyone would be willing to answer. Do you typically go out just before dark? Wind and current where I live would usually be a significant factor, would this effect my chances of squiding. Can squiding from a kayak be done effectively without a fish finder? Do you always fish towards the bottom during the day? Have you ever tried at night from a kayak using a strong headlamp (I also have a dive light I could rig up). 

Thanks in advance and good luck this spring. Jeff.

Hello Jeff my name is al I have been fishing from my kayak for about 2 years I go during the day I have launched from deep hole a couple of times during the day no way to go at night. Jamestown is good for day fishing even better during the fall this year has not been good right now. I rigged a light but haven't tried it yet. Having a fish finder helps greatly they can be at different levels in the water column. When you see them you just raise or lower your jigs the that depth. Thinking of hitting newport this week. Once you start catching from a kayak you won't want to pier fish again. Hope this helps
In the next week or two I'll be giving my first go out for squid from the kayak. Definitely condition related as the south shore really doesn't have much in the way of shelter from the wind/elements unless I go up to the west wall. I plan on going an hour or two before dark or sunrise and then carry an hour or two after using a green FX glo-tube in the water and a strong headlamp in the dark. I also plan on using an anchor as the current on the south shore can be substantial on even the calmest waters.

During the day do you guys always fish off the bottom?

Any other advise will be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.