Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to make Squid Jigs
I want to learn but have no idea where to start. Anyone have recommendations?
Probably start by posting in the Homemade squid jigs and tackle sub-forum, http://www.squidfish.net/forums/index.ph...nd-tackle/

Not a lot of people read that sub-forum and even fewer actually follow through on making their own. For my part, I got all the supplies and materials to make them. Made a plan to make them. And then didn't actually make them. If you are still not discouraged, there are basically 2 options... You can either cast them or carve them. Carving is far simpler to tackle but far more complicated to master. A drill and a pocket knife could, theoretically, produce a usable jig out of any piece of scrap wood. A drill press makes things easier and some carving chisels would allow fine detail and fine-grained, light woods such as cedar would make the job easier/better still. When you consider that the simplest jigs are basically just a narrow cylinder with an eye on one end and a squid hook on the other, it's not a monumental task. If you had a small lathe, you could turn these out in a few minutes. 

However, these most basic jigs cost around $1-3. If you are going to try to make it worthwhile to make your own, you will want to try to match some of the higher-end jigs that are $15-30 each. This is where casting comes in. For casting, the process is fairly simple. You make a mold, pour in the resin, and remove your nearly finished jig. However, the biggest issue is making the mold. A mold is an negative copy of an original item. You can take anything and make a mold of it. You can use things such as plaster to make a mold, but it is difficult to work with and usually needs to be destroyed with each casting. A better option is silicone. It's fairly easy to work with some of the no-vacuum products like Smooth-on OOMOO 30. You will want to make a 2-part mold. There are a bunch of videos on YouTube to show you how to do this. It's not difficult. It is a process though, and there's a reason these things cost $15-30. Plus, you will need an original to make a mold. Most likely, you will need to either carve your own or duplicate something you purchase and strip down, destroying it for use as a jig. I wish more people would do this, because I love seeing what people can come up with. Good luck.