Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greenport, Li Ny Squid Season 2008
[quote name='NorthBar Tackle' post='11500' date='May 7 2008, 03:59 PM']I am going out tonight if anyone wants to join. I will have 110V available with plenty of outlets and 4 500W halognes out. PM me and I will send you my number

-Rob[/quote]

Rob

Please call Benten if you see any activity. I was there on Sunday with no visible sign of any squid.

I saw pretty large bluefish so that's not a good sign.

Ken
[quote name='Andy' post='11369' date='May 5 2008, 08:28 AM']Since you're from MA, you'd have much better chance finding squid in your neck of wood (RI or MA). Long Island water right now is infested by bluefish, so bring your bluefish gear if you want to try. If you want to hop on party boats, there are some in Jones Inlet/Pt Lookout or Freeport.

Check out the current LI fishing report with this link

[url="http://www.noreast.com/postedreports/list.cfm?region_ID=33"]http://www.noreast.com/postedreports/list.cfm?region_ID=33[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the link, didn't find any blues or bass on LI a lot of Traffic. I couldn't live there!!!, Did fish the Jones Beach area, water was cool and cloudy no fish to be found
How'd you make out squidding?
[quote name='ttbeachbum' post='11524' date='May 8 2008, 08:57 AM']How'd you make out squidding?[/quote]

Didn't try, ran out of time, I got so frustrated with the traffic, I did a little surf casting but mostly did what I had to do for work and got off the Island. I'll be back over the course of the summer. I'll try to schedule some more fishing.
I don't think there's any around now that the bluefish are in. We will be heading to the South shore this weekend for some surfcasting now that the blues and bass are in.
[quote name='ttbeachbum' post='11558' date='May 9 2008, 09:05 AM']I don't think there's any around now that the bluefish are in. We will be heading to the South shore this weekend for some surfcasting now that the blues and bass are in.[/quote]

You see the same reports that I do. It's been very slow for squid!!! My daughter and I went last night to Jamestown RI, Nothing!! Guys in the boats didn't have any luck either!! Hopefully we can salvage a few decent days. If we do, and I have enough, we'll catch up during the summer and I'll share
[quote name='eatfish' post='11580' date='May 9 2008, 03:30 PM']You see the same reports that I do. It's been very slow for squid!!! My daughter and I went last night to Jamestown RI, Nothing!! Guys in the boats didn't have any luck either!! Hopefully we can salvage a few decent days. If we do, and I have enough, we'll catch up during the summer and I'll share[/quote]

That's strange (nothing in Jamestown), Newport still has squid around, just not many big one and the new-born are happily feeding on surface. I was there Thur & Friday nights and was surprised to see the 1 inch new-born baby squid, (must born a month ago - end of April/start of May?). Hopefully they'll grow fast over the summer if not eaten by the schoolies.

In the summer at Long Island, we see squid coming close at night trips when they are attracted by the boat lights.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any actions from Greenport long island NY? rsgtz 4 2,219 12-05-2020, 01:44 AM
Last Post: JoeQian
  squid in greenport may 16 2015 denis 1 2,390 20-05-2015, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Gilligan
  Greenport, NY - 2014 Squid Season glen 3 5,549 18-06-2014, 03:04 AM
Last Post: chadsel