Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Survey For Seattle-area Squid Fisherman
I'm currently working on a study that includes a survey of anyone and everyone who might fish for squid off of the piers in downtown Seattle (though opinions from those who fish in Elliott Bay in general would be appreciated as well!). Below are some of the questions we've been asking bait shop owners and city workers to get an idea of the level of fishing activity that occurs in the area.
  • Have you ever fished for squid in Elliott Bay?

• If so, what months and how often?

• Are there other locations that are better than Elliott Bay for squid fishing?

• If so, why are these other locations better?

• Do you ever fish in Elliott Bay for other species (i.e. perch, bass, salmon)?

• If so, what months and how often?

• Would you like to see enhancements along the waterfront in Seattle to promote more fishing opportunities?

If anyone has any thoughts or responses to these questions, or any comments in general on the fishing situation for the Seattle waterfront, please feel free to message me! We're trying to make sure as many people's opinions are represented in this study as possible, so don't be shy.

Thank you!
hi, what research institution is carrying out the survey? please explain a little bit more about yourself. and also is there really any scope for improvements? because presumably a lot of money would need to be spent to improve fishing access etc. so it would be good to know if improvements are actually a possibility.

cheers, glen
Thanks for the reply glen, a quick summary:

I work for an environmental engineering company here in downtown Seattle, and the squid survey is a part of a larger study effort that is attempting to assess the public use of the Seattle waterfront in general. We've had input from a number of people from surveys done along the waterfront, but getting an idea of how much squid fishing actually occurs from the waterfront area has proven to be difficult. A few searches on Google led me here and I noticed the active community for Seattle-area squid jigging, so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any input.

There isn't really any scope for improvements, I'm just looking for observations such as, "If you've been fishing down there and noticed something you didn't like, or thought of something that would your fishing experience better". I grew up buzz-bombing for salmon at Pier 86 and my dad always said it should be more clearly marked, so that might be a good example of the type of stuff we're looking for. But again, any comments at all, in addition to the squid questions (particularly how regularly the squid fishing occurs) would be great.

Thanks again!

[quote name='glen' post='9891' date='Feb 15 2008, 02:44 PM']hi, what research institution is carrying out the survey? please explain a little bit more about yourself. and also is there really any scope for improvements? because presumably a lot of money would need to be spent to improve fishing access etc. so it would be good to know if improvements are actually a possibility.

cheers, glen[/quote]