Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southeast Alaska
I am trying to collect information two kinds of squid in southeast Alaska, particualry in the areas around Sitka and Elfin Cove, but information from ANY area would be useful as well. Locations, dates and times of encounters, approximate size of the squid, and any other information are all important. Has anyone specifically tried to catch either of these species at night with large, luminescent jigs like they do in California and Mexico?

Target species:

Dosidicus gigas - Humboldt or jumbo squid; up to 3 ft. body length, smooth skin, no claws on tentacles but rings of very sharp teeth on sucker cup on arms and tentacles.

Moroteuthis robusta - up to 6 ft. body length, ridged skin (running fore and aft), large claws on the tentacles.

Any information provided will be used in planning scientific field work and will be kept confidential.
We have been catching humboldts down here in CA every winter for the past few years. The fishery is still new so there is limited information about them. Since we always fish for them durring the daytime they run pretty deep from 400-1200ft down. When a few get hooked up the school folows the hoked ones up to the surface and that's where you wanna keep them to create a frenzy. If you go on YouTube.com and type in Humboldt squid you can find some good videos.
[quote name='IVAN T' post='9816' date='Jan 27 2008, 06:28 PM']We have been catching humboldts down here in CA every winter for the past few years. The fishery is still new so there is limited information about them. Since we always fish for them durring the daytime they run pretty deep from 400-1200ft down. When a few get hooked up the school folows the hoked ones up to the surface and that's where you wanna keep them to create a frenzy. If you go on YouTube.com and type in Humboldt squid you can find some good videos.[/quote]

Thanks. I am in Monterey and am pretty familiar with the situation off CA. We will actually be studying the squid off central CA over the next 3 years. In that regard, it would be useful to know where and when you run into squid down here. We are ready to start field work as soon as the weather cooperates.

But I would also like to do some work on them in Alaska, so I really need to know about encounters up there
I was actually supposed to go out this past Saturday but the trip got canceled due to weather. It seems the squid are no where to be found at this time. But then again not too many people are going after them.
[quote name='IVAN T' post='9818' date='Jan 27 2008, 07:13 PM']I was actually supposed to go out this past Saturday but the trip got canceled due to weather. It seems the squid are no where to be found at this time. But then again not too many people are going after them.[/quote]

Where are you located?
Used to live in Haywardr for years untill recently moving to Lathrop (by Manteca)
I had some customers a couple years ago fishing them out of Ketchikan at night in September. Actually I think anywhere in Prince William Sound is probably similar. They caught them at night about 7 miles out so they said, about 150' down. They were able to pick them up fairly well on their fish finder, and they would just drop down to the depth and catch them without any problem. From the looks of it, they looked similar to smaller size humbolt squid (red color), maybe about 2-4 pounds from the photo's I saw.

Jon
[url="http://www.squidjig.com"]WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM [/url] [color="red"]Seattle, Washington, USA[/color]

[color="blue"]Home of the World Famous Martinetti Squid Jigs[/color]
[quote name='jumbocalamar' post='9814' date='Jan 27 2008, 02:30 PM']I am trying to collect information two kinds of squid in southeast Alaska, particualry in the areas around Sitka and Elfin Cove, but information from ANY area would be useful as well. Locations, dates and times of encounters, approximate size of the squid, and any other information are all important. Has anyone specifically tried to catch either of these species at night with large, luminescent jigs like they do in California and Mexico?

Target species:

Dosidicus gigas - Humboldt or jumbo squid; up to 3 ft. body length, smooth skin, no claws on tentacles but rings of very sharp teeth on sucker cup on arms and tentacles.

Moroteuthis robusta - up to 6 ft. body length, ridged skin (running fore and aft), large claws on the tentacles.

Any information provided will be used in planning scientific field work and will be kept confidential.[/quote]

HI, I would to add to your quest. This might seem a little out there, but it's our way of life here in AK. I was out hunting seal Feb. 16th and took a nice seal between Mosier and Stack Is. north of Ketch. I usually look at the contents of their stomache to see what they've been eating. This was a very full male seal. He had 5 / 1 to 1.5 ft long squid in him. The squid had smooth texture and were mostly body rather then tenicals. I didn't have my camera or I would have defenitely taken a picture. The squid were pretty white and if there was any color it would have been digested. But I know when floating around in 150ft of water where the seals are feeding are large amounts of activity on the fish finder. I might be going out there later next week for a 3 day camping trip. I want to make a jig to gather some for this years halibut fishing. I'm kind of perplexed on what to use to catch them. But I know it will probably involve a few light sticks and a long line of little treble hooks. I'll let you know if I suceed and please inform me of any suggestions on catching?

L
[quote name='Sealhuntress' post='9928' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:35 AM']HI, I would to add to your quest. This might seem a little out there, but it's our way of life here in AK. I was out hunting seal Feb. 16th and took a nice seal between Mosier and Stack Is. north of Ketch. I usually look at the contents of their stomache to see what they've been eating. This was a very full male seal. He had 5 / 1 to 1.5 ft long squid in him. The squid had smooth texture and were mostly body rather then tenicals. I didn't have my camera or I would have defenitely taken a picture. The squid were pretty white and if there was any color it would have been digested. But I know when floating around in 150ft of water where the seals are feeding are large amounts of activity on the fish finder. I might be going out there later next week for a 3 day camping trip. I want to make a jig to gather some for this years halibut fishing. I'm kind of perplexed on what to use to catch them. But I know it will probably involve a few light sticks and a long line of little treble hooks. I'll let you know if I suceed and please inform me of any suggestions on catching?

L[/quote]

Jigs that would work well for that size of squid - About 3oz weight, luminous body, and luminous red beads between the hooks. Jigs have large size strong squid hooks. Out in the open water where you will be at, these should work well.

Jon
[url="http://www.squidjig.com"]WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM [/url] [color="red"]Seattle, Washington, USA[/color]

[color="blue"]Home of the World Famous Martinetti Squid Jigs[/color]