Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flounder
Hey all,

I am keen to start floundering, and have enjoyed reading all the forums. One question: It seems that spotting sting rays at night is pretty common in Port phillip bay. Is this a danger? Do you have to be super cautious to avoid stepping on them, or do they stay out of your way?
hi hmf,

the PPB stingrays are generally are not in a rush to get out of the way and so i guess it is possible to step on one. they are usually fairly small ones though. maybe 1.5 feet long and with a similar width.

i am generally wearing chest waders. i don't know if the stingray barb can get through PVC waders or not. i doubt they could do much damage.

in any case, to avoid stepping on them or getting hurt you can:

1) only go out when the waster is calm (as you can see them better)

2) use a bright light (to see them better)

3) wear waders!!!

only thing i have stepped on so far is some crabs buried in the sand but they can't bite through my boots as far as i know.

cheers, glen
theres always tons of little rays and banjo sharks in shallows, but as yet, i've never had problems with them

sometimes the bigger ones will follow you for a while just to see whats going on, but never closer than a 10 feet or so.

like glen, i'm in chest waders, and only out on clam nights.

good luck, I havent had my stuff out in ages. its jsut too late by the time its dark at the moment for me.
[quote name='Steeny' post='9777' date='Jan 14 2008, 12:37 PM']theres always tons of little rays and banjo sharks in shallows, but as yet, i've never had problems with them

sometimes the bigger ones will follow you for a while just to see whats going on, but never closer than a 10 feet or so.

like glen, i'm in chest waders, and only out on clam nights.

good luck, I havent had my stuff out in ages. its jsut too late by the time its dark at the moment for me.[/quote]

Cheers guys. I've got all the gear except the waders... so once I get a pair of them together, I'll head out and give it a go. Thanks for the advice.
no worries. i hope you catch a few!! the flathead are quick but the flounder are fairly easy to get. i caught a small flounder by hand once!!!!
thats impressive a hot spot in victoria for floundering flat head big squid sting rays banjos and large crabs is sorrento or dromana rocks alot of flounder and flat head there we caught 25 flathead of the JET SKI!!!!
hi funna, i will have to give those spots a go. thanks for the tip. cheers, glen

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flounder Biology Fatboi 19 20,048 22-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Nautilusly
  Ideal Weather Conditions for Flounder Guest 10 16,581 10-11-2004, 01:27 PM
Last Post: Reef Raider