Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello All
Hi everyone,i just came across this site and thaught i would register and try to compare notes with other like minded squid fishers.

Iv'e been a commercial hand jig fisher for the last 10 years here in South Australia.The fishery here is a all year concern with certain areas coming to life at a particular time.I do a lot of travelling to follow the fish,which seem to congregate only when the shallow water is clear.Fishing at a max depth of 30ft to as shallow as 3ft.I fish mostly by myself with just one deckhand using 3 handlines each.Southern calamari is the main target but on occasions the arrow or torpedo squid are mixed among them which tells me that they come from very deep water.For some reason this season the squid have not moved into the shallows[under 10ft of water ] to spawn and i don't know what the reason for this is, so having to fish in deeper water using heavier jags, gets some getting used to, especially when the tide is ripping out or in.I found that attatching a small weight to the line seems to get the jig down to the bottom on the weed beds quick and are starting to get some good results averaging between 80-100kg per day. I'd be interested to know of anyone who has a more easier way to get the squid firing more in the deeper water.The southern calamari are not attracted to bright light for some reason ,so all the fishing is done only in daylight hours.So if any other pro squid fishers have got any ideas it would be good to hear from you cheers Kezz