Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 is here
You all ready. now is time to upgrade some gears. Took wife n kids squidding for the first time  near collier ledge last year n they love it already asking wen we go squidding again.  Cant wait til warmer weather is here.

I'm looking forward to my first spring going squidding in that area as well! 

Squid, then stripers!  Warm weather can't get here fast enough!

Every year i squid from Newport RI on the causway goat island Bridge. I need to shop for a new squid fishing light any suggestions? Im looking for something rechargable.
Still 3-4 weeks out for MA.....water temps not there yet.  Today has been the warmest on the Sea Surface Temp charts.  

https://marine.rutgers.edu/cool/sat_data...05.n19.jpg

I just found this forum, glad I did.  I call my parents daily they live in Falmouth, MA, and ask if they have started to see the squid trawlers yet.  That was always a sign that the Stripers were not far behind, but this year I am going squid fishing.  In the past my parents would just buy a 5 gallon bucket of squid from the trawlers that tie up in Falmouth harbor while the squid are in.  I know a few spots that you can catch them from docks in Woods Hole, Falmouth and Hyannis that I will try once the run is on. 

Question on your rigs?  I picked up some light squid jigs and some weighted ones.  I was going to fish 2, a weighted at the bottom, and a light one about 15 inches above it.  The videos I have seen have guys using a weight at the bottom, and 2 light jigs above.  Is there a reason not to use a weighted squid jig instead of a lead weight?

water temp 45deg could be any day now

How long after they hit Newport can we expect to find them near the west end of the Cape Cod Canal?  

When you tie your jig rigs, do you use really light line?  I am using 12lb Floro, is that too heavy? 

Is there any problem parking near the GI bridge?  I was looking on google maps, and there are some lots on the Island and some on the mainland side.  Is there a problem with getting towed there after dusk?

I am looking to share a ride with somebody for squidding this coming weeks
If anyone is looking to book a charter for squid out of Hyannis I have limited dates available. Operating out of a 23 Hydrasport CC. Shoot me a PM. Cant wait for the upcoming season!
I am in and tell me the date and time.if it is on Monday, then it will be 2 of us, a friend and I, are going

Thanks
Hey Gone Squidding - if looking to spread cost more with Calimarley....let me know what date you plan to target.  My boat is under repair and i'm not going to be able to get it in early enough this year and I'm looking to get out with someone also.....  you can also reach me via e-mail using 'spearson' at 'agero' dot com

Hey Calimarley - We have interest in getting a charter setup for a few guys when the run heats up.  I usually run my own trips (just with 1 or 2 other captains from Hingham and Scituate) to stock up on bait but my boat is under repair and not going to be ready in time.  What dates do you have available?  Night trips or day trips?  And are you pricing as a trip or per head?  you can also reach me via e-mail using "spearson@agero.com"
Quote:Every year i squid from Newport RI on the causway goat island Bridge. I need to shop for a new squid fishing light any suggestions? Im looking for something rechargable.

I have a Milwaukee 18V led hp flood light and works great.  a little pricey but works all night on a hd 12.0 battery.  3 intensity settings.no cords 

or fuel. 
Quote:I have a Milwaukee 18V led hp flood light and works great.  a little pricey but works all night on a hd 12.0 battery.  3 intensity settings.no cords 

or fuel. 
Thanks So Much Janz for the advice i allready brought a light from amazon i allrwsdy tried it out a little less power then the one you recommended. If it dosent work out to much i will buy the one you use next year thanks again, hopefully the squid come soons.
Anyone know if the floating ramp are out at Hyannis or bass river yet?

Quote:When you tie your jig rigs, do you use really light line?  I am using 12lb Floro, is that too heavy? 
 Hi there, I prefer the Yamashita Naory jigs in size 1.8 B. These are pricey but the deadliest jigs I have used in over 40 years of jigging squid. I use a light rod like one might use for trout and 4lb flouro, I never go more than 6lb test. I use a tiny (#12 or 14) snap with no swivel to make it easier to change jigs. The snap also allows better action of the jig than just tying on the line. If you watch Yamashita squid jigging videos they always show a tiny snap in use. Preferred colors are red head/white, orange, and pink. When dock fishing in quiet water I never use a weight at the bottom, it hinders the action of the jig. On occasion I use a smaller Yamashita Naory size 1.5 B or S 18' up from the bigger Naory 1.8.B But I mostly use the one jig rig. Sometimes they look for smaller baits and I use the Naory 1.5 B alone. Make sure you get the Naory model, the Yamashita Egi Sutte has a different action and sinks slower for the same size Naory jig. If I have to cast out into a channel that is deep and moving I will use a 1 oz sinker with a jig tied 18" above the lead, cast out, let it sink, and slowly jig it back along the bottom, but normally use no weight. The water where I fish (Martha's Vineyard) is usually less than 12' deep off the  dock, often 8'. Not to brag but I do very well, of course many years of jigging have my wrist trained to short, twitching jigs. A good source for jigs online is WaveInn. The YoZuri Auri Q RS in size 1.8 is pretty good too, and WaveInn sells a jig called "Begix" for two bucks that works well when the squid are on top. They are very slow sinking jigs and sometimes a small split shot 6" ahead of the jig gets them down faster with good action. WaveInn is in Europe, but the shipping to US is only six bucks and no sales tax. Order soon since it takes a couple-three weeks for them to get here unless you opt for express shipping at a higher price. Good luck when you get out there!!

Thanks for the info Gilligan.  I will order some 6lb floro right now.  I picked up a bunch of the YoZuri 1.8s, I will check out those Naorys now and get a few.  I have to admit I have been so focused on fishing off a dock that I never thought about casting out as if surf fishing with the sinker on the bottom.  I bet that would be good during the day to cover more water, I will set up a rig like that too and try it.  Thanks!  

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2021 Rhode Island Squidding Reel Time 37 8,839 11-11-2021, 12:24 AM
Last Post: alaskanaturally
  2021 MA Squid Reports KorkyPlunger 19 5,435 02-11-2021, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Benzzino
  2021 New Hampshire RustyMorr 1 1,556 21-04-2021, 09:27 PM
Last Post: arramarsg1