Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great Peconic Bay
It looks like Ill be putting a party boat in the town of Riverhead and would LOVE to do open boat night squid jigging.The gREENPORT area would be a long run at 12 knots-Trying to find out if they set up any closer?Great peconic bay or the deep water east of Robins Island???May be only one way to find out-just light it up and they shoud comeSmileAny info would be great..Thank you Capt.larry
[quote name='capt larry' post='8509' date='Apr 25 2007, 02:40 AM']It looks like Ill be putting a party boat in the town of Riverhead and would LOVE to do open boat night squid jigging.The gREENPORT area would be a long run at 12 knots-Trying to find out if they set up any closer?Great peconic bay or the deep water east of Robins Island???May be only one way to find out-just light it up and they shoud comeSmileAny info would be great..Thank you Capt.larry[/quote]

Hi Larry... I haven't personally heard in that area. Likely though they will spread out in most areas, but unless there is good access people won't know about it.

Jon
[url="http://www.squidjig.com"]WWW.SQUIDJIG.COM [/url] [color="red"]Seattle, Washington, USA[/color]

[color="blue"]Home of the World Famous Martinetti Squid Jigs[/color]
[quote name='capt larry' post='8509' date='Apr 24 2007, 12:40 PM']It looks like Ill be putting a party boat in the town of Riverhead and would LOVE to do open boat night squid jigging.The gREENPORT area would be a long run at 12 knots-Trying to find out if they set up any closer?Great peconic bay or the deep water east of Robins Island???May be only one way to find out-just light it up and they shoud comeSmileAny info would be great..Thank you Capt.larry[/quote]

Dear Capt.Larry, you might want to try the New Suffolk area(look for the dropoffs and deep holes). That area was used for building submarines(similar to the one you see at the railroad station at Greenport) during the civil war era. I use to set up at night for weakfish and also jig for squid when they come around. One particular area that was good was on the north side of Robbins Island. I saw Capt. Mike of the "Prime Time III" set up for squid jigging charter over by Prestons in Greenport last year. The squid in the Peconic bay are everywhere when they come in, and they go around all over the bay in schools.Naturally, they are attracted to light so well lit areas like Greenport,Shinnecock canal entrance to the north, and North and South Ferry definitely has it's advantages.You also might want to try by Aquabogue by Larry's lighthouse area.If and when you do set up shop please post it on this site, I might join you guys on your evening cruise. Not too many open boats left for squid jigging, you might have something there. I know the Viking out of Montauk,the Frances out of Pt.Judith,Helen H out of Hyannis use to run trips like that, but most of the time they don't get out,I guess due to the lack of interest, crazy hours or whatever reasons. I tried the Greenport docks early morning 4/22 12:30AM-2:30AM (Hightide was around 2:30) and no luck. I set up my "Hydroglows" and saw lots of krill but no spearing(one or two ocasional sand eel maybe needlefish looking things) in the water.You will usually see lots and lots of spearing(baitfish) when the squid are there.There were some guys plugged into the docks outlets with floodlights but the first patrolcar(police) that stopped to look, turned off the electricity to the outlets.The town posted two big signs at foot of the docks stating the rules for fishing the railroad docks.For those of you planning a trip to the railroad docks please abide by those rules posted or they will mess up a good thing we have going so far.

P.S. Good luck on your new venture.
[quote name='ikachu' post='8524' date='Apr 26 2007, 02:48 AM']There were some guys plugged into the docks outlets with floodlights but the first patrolcar(police) that stopped to look, turned off the electricity to the outlets.The town posted two big signs at foot of the docks stating the rules for fishing the railroad docks.For those of you planning a trip to the railroad docks please abide by those rules posted or they will mess up a good thing we have going so far.

P.S. Good luck on your new venture.[/quote]

ikachu,

I called one of the local tackle shops on Tuesday and he said the warmer weather should really get things going. He had heard "sporadic" reports of squid catches but as of Tuesday, it really had not broken open yet. Some recent reports on Noreast.com show that bass have shown up in the bays...the squid should be there any minute. I'm going tonight, rain or no rain.

Question...do you think there's going to be a crackdown on the squid fishing this year because usually once the season gets going, it's complete chaos on that dock (generators everywhere, garbage galore, open-flame hibachi's, etc)? I absolutely agree that we all need to be respectful of this wonderful resource, but it would be a shame if the police started to hassle everyone.

Best of luck...I'll report back tomorrow!
Dear Southolder, I wish you the best of luck, it should break wide open any day now. I'll be looking forward to reading your report. I've also heard from some of my friends that Anthony of WEGO has been telling them that he had some of his customers talking about a pick here and a pick there, but none confirmed. As far as the crackdown on squidfishing, no I don't think they will harrass us as long as we keep it civil. I'm sure that they will be monitoring us more closely as there were more incidents occuring (I personally think that its due to more developements in the area.Have you seen what they are doing to the East Marion area by the old oyster factory?).There was even talk about charging fees for fishing on the railroad docks at the town meetings.So far Dave the mayor of Greenport has been cool about it. The new docks (transient slips) that we got a taste of last year are off limits to us according to the harbormaster.When I went on the 22nd there were no lights on the railroad docks, it was pitch black (the new docks were lit like Broadway).

Best regards, ikachu
[quote name='ikachu' post='8533' date='Apr 26 2007, 11:25 PM']Dear Southolder, I wish you the best of luck, it should break wide open any day now. I'll be looking forward to reading your report. I've also heard from some of my friends that Anthony of WEGO has been telling them that he had some of his customers talking about a pick here and a pick there, but none confirmed. As far as the crackdown on squidfishing, no I don't think they will harrass us as long as we keep it civil. I'm sure that they will be monitoring us more closely as there were more incidents occuring (I personally think that its due to more developements in the area.Have you seen what they are doing to the East Marion area by the old oyster factory?).There was even talk about charging fees for fishing on the railroad docks at the town meetings.So far Dave the mayor of Greenport has been cool about it. The new docks (transient slips) that we got a taste of last year are off limits to us according to the harbormaster.When I went on the 22nd there were no lights on the railroad docks, it was pitch black (the new docks were lit like Broadway).

Best regards, ikachu[/quote]

thank you very much ikachu,I will keep you posted,Capt larry
Thanks for the post, we were there last Friday (nothing to report though). Southolder is right, the dock is lightless. All the light posts are down. There is a brand multi-language sign listing the Town Ordinances.

We were down there last year and it was a zoo; People were jumping and jigging on the tied up boats; If you did have a light on, jigs were casted over your shoulder. There was a lot of trash that was left. I can understand the complaints from the boat owners.
Ugh...spent two hours last night (10:30pm-12:30am) and nothing. There were only maybe 7 or 8 guys total and I didn't see anyone catch a single squid. I had a light, but saw very little bait in the water. The water must be too cold still. I had planned on going back tonight, but I'm not going to even bother. I'll wait until next Thursday. Disappointing, but I'm sure they're just a little late this year.

As far as crackdown, I saw no police and no harbormaster last night. I hope once the (typically short) season heats up, everyone is respectful of the docks and we get to fish in peace, as I did last night. Although I didn't catch anything, it felt great to be back out there!