Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Typical Spearfishing Newbie!
I have just moved to Melbourne and would like to give Spearfishing ago (I can scuba dive but I realise the 2 are different).

I could only find one place which did a course on Spearfishing but apparently the instructor is out of action with a lung infection.

After reading a few comments on here I thought I would just give it a go. Is that a good idea?

I have heard that Brighton and Black Rock is quite good for spearfishing and that I need a wetsuit,fins, snorkel and mask (which I already own) and I was going to buy a speargun. I guess I need something to keep the fish in (if I am lucky enough to get near any thing).

Any comments/suggestions? (even if it is don't do it, do the course first).

Cheers,

Adam
Hi Adam, in my opinion you should go snorkelling without a gun first - practice stalking fish, see how close you can get. This will also give you a good idea about what species are common, and what to expect in different areas. My feeling is that doing a course on spearfishing would be a bit of a waste of time - but who knows. If you have already done a SCUBA course and are familiar with snorkelling and how it works, I reckon you're already half way there.

About the areas you mentioned - be careful around Black Rock - lots of boat traffic, and depending on where you go there is also a marine park which you need to stay out if (if you're spearing anyway, but there is some great snorkelling inside the park). For safety you should dive with a buoy which has a 'divers down' flag (blue/white) - you can also hang a bag off your buoy which you can put fish in if you spear any.
hi adam, welcome to the forum.

there are some spearfishing books you can buy and i would recommend you have a read. i have an old book called "spearfishing in victoria" that is now well out of print (by Barry Andrewartha). it discusses places to go spearfishing, diving safety, catch handling (to minimise attracting sharks etc)..i highly recommend you get a book like that!

best of luck, glen
Cheers for the replies guys!
G'day champ,

The course sounds like a waste of time to me. Spearfishing aint as complex as ya probabely think. Just go and get yourself a hawaiin sling / spear for about 50 bucks and get out there and have a crack. A gun is often more of a hastle than anything. Learn up on what are your basic fish species and you'll find that most of the tasty ones are easy enough to get near.

And remember - dont be satisfied to be a surface dweller! Get down low and go go go. By this I mean take a few deep breaths and dive to the bottom and look under rocks and things - thats where the real gold nuggets often are.

Youre not going to get eaten by a shark in port phillip so I wouldnt worry about that. Basicaly, like jazman said, your biggest worry is getting run over by a wanker on a jet ski.

If you got a car I reccomend going out in the ocean locations down the mornington peninsula. Keep an eye on the conditions though cos it can be very dangerous on its day.

Righto knackers, get out there and get your hair wet and let your uncle rohan know how ya went