Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyannis and Edgardtown Squid
Quote:janz, that makes a lot of sense.  I was paranoid about breakoffs so i kept the drag light.  I was slipping a lot.

thanks....
 Hi Greg, you might be amazed at how strong six pound really is. Try tying your line to a fixed object like a chair or something and pulling back on your rod with the drag down tight. If you have a light rod it will bend like crazy and you'll be surprised at how much you can pull on it without the line breaking. I landed a 15" dock line that I snagged while squidding on my four pound last year. It had been on the bottom a long time and although I picked it out of the water with my hands when I got it to the top, I did get it up 15' of water and it was quite heavy. Remember, things weigh a lot less in the water than they do in air. It is unlikely that you will ever get inshore squid over two pounds so you can fish for them with a pretty tight drag. I used to do a lot of light tackle fishing and one of my best feats was a 150lb blue shark on tounament 8lb test. That's right eight pound test, took a couple hours and the blue dogs are not much for fighting, but it was a fun fight on that thin line. Like Janz says, if I do get a rare squid that takes drag, I just pump and reel like any other fish that takes drag, and lean down and grab the line when I get it to the surface so as to not over stress my tiny rod.

Squid are in hot and heavy

Down in P TOWN at night dust till dawn.

Fishing of boat with lights and generator.

I got enough for the season.

Good lucks

SquidFox out!
 Squid in Menemsha on the Vinyard too.

Nice

What a good year we have in a long time.

Just a couple years ago I didn't catch any but a couple of squid.
Been some good late night squidding in Edgartown from the docks.

Still squid in Edgartown and Menemsha from the docks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hyannis Run 2023 IAMFISH 29 5,480 10-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Last Post: SquidFox
  Hyannis 2017 vito 41 10,487 17-06-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: Crazyfisher
  Hyannis and Edgardtown Squid Kenzta 83 16,548 23-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Gilligan