Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beverly, MA
HI,

I live in Lynn, Ma. anyone know when will the squid arrive in Beverly, Ma????
[quote name='Hoang' post='6573' date='Apr 28 2006, 07:08 PM']HI,

I live in Lynn, Ma. anyone know when will the squid arrive in Beverly, Ma????[/quote]

Hoang,

Squid only arrive in the south, East Falmouth, Wood hole, New Port RI , they won't swim up to your area.
Squid do actually come up north. I have seen them in Boston. But never in numbers.
anyone seen any squid at Beverly brige, Ma yet?????
[quote name='amateurfishing' post='6582' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:30 AM']Hoang,

Squid only arrive in the south, East Falmouth, Wood hole, New Port RI , they won't swim up to your area.[/quote]

I have asked the local bait shop owner about squid fishing in Beverly. He told me people used to catch them by buckets like 20 years ago near the Beverly boat dock. But about 10 years ago they stop coming in and has not come since. Not sure due to pollution or what.

I have caught a squid (by accident) as far north as Portsmouth NH on the bridge using a mackerel jig.
I used to see large commercial squid ships 300-400 ft about 5 miles North of Scituate Ma late at night yrs ago, Summer/Fall.

Seen a couple squid while scuba diving off Cohasset Ma in summer.

I have seen some schools of squid come through the Cape Cod canal in the past as well(late Summer/early Fall)
[quote name='amateurfishing' post='6582' date='Apr 30 2006, 04:30 AM']Hoang,

Squid only arrive in the south, East Falmouth, Wood hole, New Port RI , they won't swim up to your area.[/quote]

Squid can be caught in reasonable numbers into southern maine, I used to live in Gloucester and the local papers reported fishable numbers of squid in beverly/salem from time to time, also I personally saw many squid in the piscatiqua river in NH last summer and hope to fish for them this summer. A friend also filled a few buckets over the summer in Kittery ME, so I would not believe they are only in the south. Although I certainly would see more when I used to fish the cape at night.
[quote name='Hoang' post='6573' date='Apr 28 2006, 08:08 PM']HI,

I live in Lynn, Ma. anyone know when will the squid arrive in Beverly, Ma????[/quote]

Last year, there was squid in good numbers through July and August at the Beverly docks!
Long Days and Pleasant Nights !