Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch Bags And Carrying Gear
G'day all you squid meisters. I went for a spear on the weekend and realised that by the time I swim while carrying a 6 foot spear gun and a catch bag I can hardly move or duck dive or anything. I am considering pulling out a floated catch back that I could tie a rope to or something.

What do you guys do? Tie your bag to your weight belt or something? seriousy folks, I feel that I'm that bogged down with gear I can hardly move under the water let alone catch something. And another thing, it makes reloading your speargun twice the hassel because everything gets tangled up in the string.

what do you champs do?
Hi Rohan

I either attach the catch bag to my belt using a large clip (not a good idea if you're in a sharky area), or drag a float behind me. When using the float I either tether the catch bag under the float, or don't take a catch bag at all, and just thread the fish onto the float line (through the gills and out the mouth). I attach the float line to the handle of the speargun using a shark clip, so the gun is all you need to carry. However, this doesn't overcome the problem of lines getting tangled, since you now have a float line and a spear line to manage.....but it seems the most starightforward system to me (other than taking each fish you spear back to shore).

Another similar system is to use a float, and attach a fish stringer below it (a fish stringer is a short length of steel cable with a type of 'needle' you use to thread your fish onto the cable).
[quote name='Jazman' post='6390' date='Mar 27 2006, 04:19 PM']Hi Rohan

I either attach the catch bag to my belt using a large clip (not a good idea if you're in a sharky area), or drag a float behind me. When using the float I either tether the catch bag under the float, or don't take a catch bag at all, and just thread the fish onto the float line (through the gills and out the mouth). I attach the float line to the handle of the speargun using a shark clip, so the gun is all you need to carry. However, this doesn't overcome the problem of lines getting tangled, since you now have a float line and a spear line to manage.....but it seems the most starightforward system to me (other than taking each fish you spear back to shore).

Another similar system is to use a float, and attach a fish stringer below it (a fish stringer is a short length of steel cable with a type of 'needle' you use to thread your fish onto the cable).[/quote]

some excellent ideas there jazz man. I'll definatel adopt one of those in the future. Taking each fish individually back to shore is when you always see the good fish! I once had a flounder on my spear and was returning to shore when I cam across the biggest flatty I've ever seen. It must have been about a metre long and really fat. It was so slow I attempted spearing even with the flounder still on the prongs but in the end it got away.
Yes, that's always the way. For me, it's usually when I decide to take the gun back in and just have a casual snorkel around that I see trophy fish. I reckon for both safety and practical reasons, your best bet is to use a float (with dive flag) with a fish stringer under it. Your only risk then is seals coming in to steal your catch - I've heard of it happening! Tethering a catch bag under the float is good for carrying your catch, but the catch bag is not the most hydrodynamic item in the world, and makes the float hard to pull along. It goes without saying that you should have a nice long float line.
what I really nead is a pack horse style shirper who can carry all my gear so I can roam free beneath the waves pillaging my marine bounty!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spear Gear rohan 14 15,206 30-09-2005, 05:22 PM
Last Post: AND1_HOTSAUCE
  Floundering Gear + Tips squidapprentice 3 13,566 10-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Last Post: glen