Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St Kilda, VIC
Hi ppl,

was lookin at fishvictoria.com the other day and found a report by a guy who caught nice size squid at st kilda pier....heres the link: its the post titled 6,may2005

[url="http://www.fishvictoria.com/pyoursay/reports/ppb_st_kilda.php"]http://www.fishvictoria.com/pyoursay/repor...pb_st_kilda.php[/url]

anyways, theres a picture of the squid he caught in the gallery too..my question is, because the water around stkilda pier so dirty, wouldnt the squid be dirty too?

anyones thoughts on this? i myself prefer to drive down to mornington etc because of the slightly cleaner waters
Hi Calamarine,

I would have to agree with you, St Kilda pier is very close to the Yarra (dirty runoff) as well as close to where all the container ships dock (diesel, dirty ballast water etc), I would be using squid I caught from here as bait rather than as dinner. But the worry is that these pollutants run into the bay, so although they would be diluted by the time they get to Mornington, they are still present.....in the absence of any government recommendations I guess everyone needs to make their own judgment call on what is 'clean' water.

Jaz
I went to St Kilda Pier recently and the water was very dirty. Not a patch of squid ink on the pier either. I couldn't catch any squid and the locals said theres none around, which made me very suprised when i saw the fishvictoria report. Can anyone confirm this report of squid off St Kilda Pier?

Regards,

Chick3n
I can confirm catches of squid from Lagoon Pier, which is close to St Kilda pier and even further up towards the mouth of the Yarra, so I think there is a good chance that the report is genuine (although you never can tell!).
yeh, id have to agree..i think i'll avoid any squid from areas so close to the city..

on a simillar note, i read reports of very good sized silver trevally being caught around port melbourne-which was very surprising to hear.

ii've really enjoyed catching trevally up in eden/merimbula/tathra NSW, but for the same reasons ive mentioned, i'll avoid eating any fish from port melb.

heard that they're sometimes caught from Lorne pier, and the slimies are supposed to be around a.t.m, so might be worth a look.

cya
squid dont live for longer than 12mths right? so my question is, would that be long enough for them to absord toxins/heavy metals etc?

Also, alot of fish get caught by the pros in the northern part of PPB that go directly to market and restaurants...

AK
That's a good point about the squid life spans, I would imagine it would depend if the baitfish the squid feed on contain heavy metals - sinec they are also short-lived I think the answer would be no.

I had never thought about fish the pros catch, I don't buy fish or eat much fish in restaurants, but I would be interested to know what the contaminant levels would be in fish caught from northern vs southern PPB.

Calamarine, do you know what bait they are catching the trevally on?

Cheers

Jaz