Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Niantic Bay And Stonington Harbor, CT
Here are some extracts from an article by Tim Coleman in "The Day", New London, CT - Published on 5/13/2005

[url="http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=58247E21-DEC8-4520-BCF3-9AA961888E93"]Link to Full Article[/url]

[color="blue"]Squid are moving into both Niantic Bay and Stonington Harbor in good numbers and can be jigged at night with squid jigs; chumming helps.

The pound net in Niantic Bay owned by Brian Sullivan is full of squid being sold to area tackle shops. Some people are out catching them on their own.

In the last seven days the shop sold 50 squid jigs, plastic lures around two to three inches long with metal spikes sticking out of the bottom at a 45-degree angle. You lower one of these weighted lures down to the feeding squid that grab hold and get their tentacles caught in the spikes. Some people rig the jigs in tandem, getting multiple squid in one drop.

There are squid on the Watch Hill reefs but only a few sporadic stripers so far, and those were on the small fish.

The Millstone outflow holds schoolies and small blues or you can try in Niantic Bay, anchored up and chumming, jigging for squid, either for food, or bait for bass or fluke.

© The Day Publishing Co., 2005[/color]
Some extracts from the latest fishing report in "The Day", New London, CT - Published on 5/20/2005

[url="http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=3F245F27-169A-47D3-B703-EEB430AA83A5"]Link to full article[/url]

[color="blue"]Stonington Harbor is full of squid.

Lots of squid can be jigged after dark in Stonington Harbor and around the Niantic River mouth. [/color]
Extract from the latest fishing report from "The Day", New London, CT - Published on 5/27/2005

[color="blue"]....Squid jigs are selling well, many headed to Stonington Harbor after dark for squid up to 18 inches....[/color]
Anyone have info on the Westbrook/Old Saybrook area? My boats getting splashed next week and I'm anxious to give it a try. Did some jigging on Jamestown RI last year and now I'm hooked.
[quote name='chopper' post='8320' date='Mar 24 2007, 11:20 AM']Anyone have info on the Westbrook/Old Saybrook area? My boats getting splashed next week and I'm anxious to give it a try. Did some jigging on Jamestown RI last year and now I'm hooked.[/quote]

After reading this thread, I was wondering, has anyone ever tried to squid in the Niantic or Stonington areas of Connecticut?....I'm thinking of giving Stonington a shot, maybe even Niantic. Would save me a hell of a ride seeing I've been traveling to GI Bridge in Newport....

Would be nice to here from those who have already tried in the past and what your results where. Also, any other areas in Connecticut that you may know of..

Thanks in advance,

MoalBoalDiver

New Britain, CT

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stonington, CT 2018 Squidders Unite! RustyMorr 19 5,565 08-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: JANZ
  Stonington, CT 2014 Squid Season BlueKayak 29 8,438 14-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Last Post: CoastalLifePhotography
  Stonington, CT - 2013 Season RustyMorr 14 3,548 02-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Last Post: RustyMorr