Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Craving for Squid in Maine
Hey everyone, first post, new to the forum.

I'm looking for a good place in Maine to get some squid. I have a few squid jigs, lucky me found a yo zuri glow in the dark squid jig stuck in some seaweed!

Went to Falmouth Town Landing pier and didn't catch a thing. Neither did any of the other people that were there that evening. Probably due to this massive plague of minnows that showed up. Some millions of minnows decided the dock was the best place to live ever, and you could see the squid swimming on occasion through the masses. You could drop a jig on a squids' head and I don't think it would know you were there.

So, anyone else have a good spot in Maine they'd like to share?
I wish I could help you out but never tried past NH for squid.   I do hear that they are having

a second great year for squid at the docks and by boat in the river that borders NH and Maine.

Bait is a good thing but to much of it and its a bad thing for enticing squid to attack your jig.  I

really need to get up there sometime and do some exploring for squid spots.

I was recently talking to a guy at the pier and he did alot of fishing in NH and ME and mentioned that they are getting alot of squid at the Piscataqua River, not sure if that's spelled right.  I'm unfamiliar with fishing up there so I can't help any more than that.  Good luck.

Good news everyone! So I've been out and about hunting up squidding spots. I got a Maine Gazetteer and started to research any boat piers throughout the midcoast area. Stopped by L.L Beans in Freeport and asked the old man in the fishing department if he'd heard anything about squid. He suggested anywhere in Boothbay has been catching good numbers.

Winslow State Park had a fantastic little spot way in the back. There's a nice little boat landing that extends a decent bit out over the water. There was ink on the pier, so I had hopes of setting up, but the park ranger there was a big ol' crab and once the sun started to set threw me out. You might be able to set up during the day, but night squidding is out of the question.

Headed back down to Falmouth for lack of a better idea, and the baitfish had thankfully moved on, and holy crap were there squid! Quite a few people out catching them for fun. Even caught about a dozen myself! There's big lights over the water which stay on until about 11pm or so, after that it's lights out. I was there late into the evening and squidding was very very good. I think I"ll head back up that way this weekend and maybe put up some pics!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Southern Maine davec13579 0 3,515 16-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Last Post: davec13579
  Boothbay Maine davidclifford15 0 6,943 10-07-2008, 04:09 AM
Last Post: davidclifford15
  Eastport, Maine Golddogs 0 5,078 30-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Last Post: Golddogs