Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Urgent -- looking to get live squid from somewhere (Boston, MA)
Hi guys,

I'm looking to find either market squid or longfin squid (live, to keep as a pet).

Two questions in line of this:

1) when I do find myself a live squid, what arrangements should I take to get it home and into my water tank?

2) where can I get live squid? I notice you guys fish squid... if any of you guys catch it, would you be willing to sell it to me please? I'm in around Boston area and can come to whatever place to pick up the squid. It's important that I get the squid soon (ideally within the next 3 or 4 days), so I would highly, highly appreciate a reply with advice.

Thank you!

Well, first, you likely will not find any live squid for several months in the Northeast. Usually April/May are the earliest times to get them and it's been extra cold this year, so it may be even later. The offshore boats may be able to find squid earlier, but I doubt you would be able to get live squid from them. As for keeping them in an aquarium, I would be surprised if you could keep them alive. A lot of the bottom-of-the-food-chain animals live for very short periods of time. In addition, you typically would need a very large tank (like New England Aquarium sized) to keep enough of a balanced ecosystem to keep them alive. Now, if you wanted to have a live squid that you keep for a couple days to a week in an aquarium at the entrance to an upscale fish market, that might work. I would just forget it though.

We're getting the squid to keep as a "pet"... for a few days in a research lab. We intend to use the squid for an experiment (relating to alzheimer's research- squids have large axons, so they're a good candidate to do brain experiments on).

If getting squid within a day or two isn't possible, I guess I'll drop it. 

I would be interested in getting some over the course of the next 2-3 months though -- so I'll be around here to ask if any of you are willing to give away / sell some live squids to me in the future sometime.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

that statement is untrue.. you can get live squid 12 months of the year. They are in deeper water.

Question is how important is it. If the price of live squid can pay for fuel and crew/boat they will go out.

Anyways. how badly do you want squid is the question. If not that bad then you will need to wait til almost may. Plus I do not know if too many people have the equipment to hold a squid alive and in good condition. Please feel free to pm if you want more information.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New squid fishing, live near Sebastian inlet Fl Skiff Fisher 0 2,056 29-09-2016, 01:01 AM
Last Post: Skiff Fisher
  Boston, MA hoss 0 2,843 01-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Last Post: hoss
  Boston newbie JonFrum 4 5,156 27-11-2010, 01:42 AM
Last Post: KingSquidWithTheBiggest...