Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Kill Squid Humanely
when i was out the other day,

another bloke that was there showed me how the tool worked

he held the squid in a towel to get a good grip

in behind the eyes, a quick twist, and the squid instantly went white and was dead

fish'n'chippy
I find a sharp jab with the side of your hand just behind the eyes kills them and instantly turn white.

Daz
I put them to sleep with co2 then the hang by the neck till dead.
Squid Qoute of the day "Oh Oh here he comes again."
just get a knife and stab the squid on the top of the eye pockets either side and puts them to sleep.
The act of killing in and of itself is inhumane, so really the question is "What methods of killing a squid best preserve it for dead bait or consumption?".
A Karate chop just behind the eyes will pretty much kill them instanly, aim where the pointy part of tube and back of the eyes. work every time for me
Why you are looking for method other than icy water? i think its the best one.
[quote name='Jazman' timestamp='1066210771' post='754']

Hi Glen

I think your 'tool' destroys the squid's brain. If you insert 4-5cm then twist, I reckon you'd be in the right spot to wreck the brain, according to this pic I found.

Jazman

[/quote]Yes thats how it is desighned to work i know where there is 6 of these for $25 each if anyone wants..
I just slide my finger under its head and rip it out, that way you got no mess when you get home!

I recently saw a chap on tele, he separated with his fingers where the back of the head (upper part) meets the body. The connective tissue is so small there

it severs easily with a pinch from index finger and thumb.  The squid turned white nearly instantly. Simple enough no tools required.

Quick karate chop between top of body and head works every time