Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How big do southern calamary get?
Here is the biggest ive ever got - weighed on bathroom scales at >3kg

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

SA - the land of the bigger fish. The fish on the east, measure the least, but if you head west, you'll be bringing in the best!!
The problem is that people often get calamari confused with the giant Australia cuttlefish. I have heard of people swearing they have see squid thats 15kg. im like "I am sure." I wouldnt take reports of humongous calamari squid seriously cos they are almost always the giant Australian cuttlefish.
OWNED.
Years Back, the biggest squid southern Cal was at rye pier by a guy useing a bamboo pole, at first i thought he had snagged the pier and then didnt take much notice until i could here some voices being raised so went and had a look, to my surprise the squid was massive now not measuring it and by some squid i,ve seen this year at 53 cm hood ............i,d be fairly confident to say hood length was approx 60cm and the eye at 80mm.

I think anything near these sizes would be freaks
Cheers Ian

[quote name='Mr_Willy' timestamp='1064214427' post='590']

Here is the biggest ive ever got - weighed on bathroom scales at >3kg

[/quote]

nice one

Cheers Ian

Got a 50cm one from esperence jetty, seen some bigger ones going the lure at the time
Got a 50cm one from esperence jetty, seen some bigger ones going the lure at the time
Had much bigger chasing the lure, was almost small in comparison. Wouldn't be surprised if the get to 60cm

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)