Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lately?
Been out a few times over the last week at a few different spots and have been getting a few most times nothing massive but a few descent ones ! All have been taken mid morn on 2.5 natural yamas in the brown and the red colours .havent been for a while so it was good to get amongst them . Any one else been doing any good ?
been out in the hacking, botany bay and the harbour within the last week n half, havent had much luck.

the hacking n harbour this week has been pretty quiet, the bay has been better, theres been a couplein the high 20's at la pa, but the wind can be a problem.

the first 2 weeks of january in the hacking have been good, i bagged 3 in the mid 30's n a local n another guy bagged 1 each in the mid 30's about 2 weeks ago , but other than that its a little quiet...

Out at Shellharbour on Saturday night for two little kingfish candy size cals Confusedq:

Been out again before this rain and scored 8 on the first go caught in less than 30 min 6 casts 6 squid all the hoods were about 150 mm and were caught on a red natural Yama 2.5 on a jig jig jig then let sink tech ! 2nd go yesterday morn wind on shore water murky was going to brush it and had a quick cast anyway thinking no chance 3rd cast bang on descent hood bout 230 mm happy days !!!!
Do you prefer the natural colours? I've always used oranges, pinks and greens but bought a few naturals to try.
I have caught them on all the colours but I always have a few casts with a natural colour if nothing else is working sometimes just changing the colour or size makes all difference when I work out how to put pics up I'll put some of the jigs I use
Went to taren point(cronulla) today from 7am to 11am. Caught first squid on low tide Big Grin 2 small arrows(14cm and 15 cm hood)

Also caught a pencil case :?

Sorry for double posting but i want to get your opinions in particular.

If you go to google maps and type 'St George Sailing Club' and click the one located at Sans Souci. Just curious if you guys reckon is holds squid.

Was just cruising around look for weed/sandy areas that are relatively close to land.

u can always go try, as far as i know there is squid there but there usually arrows

Thanks drift squid!

Have you caught calas there? I've fished at a spot relatively close to it and only caught arrows.

ive fished under the bridges for jews n only eva caught n seen arrows.

but hey try it out for urself. if u do what ppl tell you all the time u'll never find new things.

ppl tel me theres no squid here n i prove em wrong many times. i just do what i believe is right, or prove too myself if a theory i had was correct..

try it... whats the worst? u dont catch nuffing

Yer I'm hoping to get out this weekend. Hopefully the wind will die down.

Been out again , took my paddle board out with a rod and got 2 mid sized yesterday and was happy with that first time I've tried ! Then went this morn off the rocks after a wake up call from my brother who was claiming biggest squid ever ,it was massive easy 35 cm plus hood have pics but can't work out how to get them up ? Got there to see sun rise 1st cast on to a 15cm hood 2nd cast 21 cm hood stoked 2 more casts nothing pack up bail with in 10 min to keep a happy family !
Nice Squidanator. Looks like your weekend was good. Sadely mine wasnt. Went out today to see the water glassy, was very excited. 10/11 cast I was on to a squid that was pulling my line. I was in shock, never had a squid that decent before. Was reeling in and saw it was a massive arrow, i'm calling 28-30 cm hood. Went for another run and then boom gone. Devastated. An hour later I had another on but lost that aswell :/

Never lost a squid until today. Gotta have bad days to get good days. Anyone know how big an arrow squid can get? I've caught a 24 cm hood but this was easily bigger.

I think my line is to light. I'm fishing 3 kg line wish I think is too light now. Not bad for salmon and tailor. How heavy are your lines? Would it make much difference if i put a leader on?

@Squidanator, if you scroll to the bottom of this thread and click 'More Reply Options' next to post, you should be able to attach a file. Just make sure the file isnt too big otherwise it takes a while to upload.

congrats on both of you for the great results, (dont be so hard on urself for losing it, you hooked em, ur doing something right)

apparently arrows around sydney can get 1.5/2 metres (hood length) claimed from someone on this site, but he fishes outside on the reefs.

but the biggest ive seen in the bays n estuaries around sydney 30-35cm hoods.

if ur using braid yes i'd use a leader, mono no dont worry bout it

@Dyl.c tried that said file to big ? Went out yesterday and cleaned up few casts and zero so moved up the ledge a bit then bang first cast ×5 hoods 12cm stoked cleaned them and moved up ledge 20m first cast bang ×6 bigger model s @15-20 cm hoods all were caught on a 2.5 pink yama glow jig it's been working good lately! Seen some other blokes pull in a few as well !went back for a swim at another spot looked good so had a quick flick for 6 more bout same as 1st lot 11-12 cm in 15 min same jig and no one else in sight ! 17 for the day all green eyes never caught an arrow on a jig! Get out there
Pic of 1 batch from yesterday if it works

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1st 5 yesterday

Big one from the weekend

Great catches.

When attaching files, you can upload only 150KB at a time. Most of your photos are around 80-90KB so mostly one per post. I will attempt to explain another method through a PM with you.