Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Should I look for Squid.....
For the most part...harbors seem to be the place....will they go into rivers and bays. Some of the surf guys have caught the odd one off the beach...just not consistently. Even tried fishing the surf myself and cant get more than a couple...generally will catch one within 10 casts then nothing...move a few blocks....maybe another...never more than 3 in an outing....Looked in the adjacent harbor and saw none....What about Jetties?? Tnere is a deep pocket on the north side of most jetties.

Where are you located Joe? This would help as the squidders in that location can help you and show you some spots.

New Jersey....USA Caught them in the surf and IF I could find a way to catch more than 2-3 a night I would do it all the time. The Squid wallop the jig and actually fight hard, plus there nice size!! Using a single slow sink Youzuri A333 Mirro Lens in Pink....It is ver slow sink and seems to be the one. The water is only like 5-6 ft deep. Looked into the Harbors adjacent to the beach and found none...Harbor was choked with Bait, Sandeels, Rainbait and Spearing. The surf spot was awash with spearing (silversides).

I know there are squid in NY but a 3 plus Hr drive makes for a rough drive home....Plus the traffic and conjestion is fierce. Rhode Island is Done...and that is a 4+ hour ride. Trying to find em in the Garden State....there were some ramblings about Barnegat Bay....All I need is the oceanographic requirements....dont want to oddly search harbors that have no chance. For instance there is Atlantic Highlands and Keport...those harbors are surounded by Raritan Bay...so...do they go into bays?? I was under the impression that they were picky about water quality.

Hurricane Sandy did a number on the NJ coast it seem to shuffle the deck. This is the first I ever saw of Squid in the Surf...the beach guys were catching them on striper plugs! Again not in numbers, but squid don't typically swim alone.
Do you regurlarly fish? I found that when I remember all the spots I've been and where I pick up alot of weed on my hook, I have found squid. The squid love the kelp and weedy areas as it provides cover from enemies and they can ambush their prey.

Thank You! This is momentum for me to look in Barnegat Bay...the weediest of all the bays...not close to my home...but not as far as RI or NY.

Have you looked at the 'around the world' and 'North America' sub-forum?

It could have some locations around you.
Quote:Have you looked at the 'around the world' and 'North America' sub-forum?

It could have some locations around you.
Yes I have scoured the entire forum. NJ does not have a squid jigging fishery per se and I believe it is solely due to lack of interest.

A few years ago squid jigging was relatively non existent until the Asian population helped to popularize it. The squid were always there just no one ever figured our how to catch them nor did we have the high tec squid jigs we have today. The only ones around sank like an anvil in quicksand.

So my question is not one of where as in try "manasquan inlet or shark river inlet" but what

Oceanographic features are needed for squid to make their appearance? So as to narrow my search. The above post about the kelp was helpful.

In NY it seems that well lit harbors that are directly connected to the ocean are key. Montauk harbor for instance, once you leave the inlet your in the North Atlantic. Or the North Shore or CT leave the harbor and your in the sound . The harbors live squid a place to feed on small baitfish and avoid being eaten by predators.

What is the temperature range that they will gather in??
It is confusing. There seems to be a lot of bigger squid around in winter in Australia. Whilst the hotter seasons usually produce a good quantity of smaller squid.

They are drawn to light aswell so any jetty's with light is a good place to look for them. The days leading up to the full moon and on the full moon are when the squid are, usually, the most active.
I hope the squid show up. I took a chance and booked the Emma Jack ( Bass river area) for May 9th... Hoping for the best. Good luck this year everyone!