Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PE Lines Specific to Squid Fishing...Eging
Anything Magical about the PE Lines specific to Squid Jigging?? Such as Varivas AvantiEging?? I have a 10lb Line called Spider Wire Flouro Braid...that sinks....would that be what you want?? It seems that 10# Braid and 0.009" Flouro is traditionally what is used...eqivalent to 1X or 2X Tippet Material in Flyfishing?? What about good ol Power Pro??

Seems that Squid Jigging is a sport unto itself in Japan...there are squid lines, leaders, snaps and rods costing big bucks! Heck they propably even have Squid Clothes and Squid Fisherman Have Squid Friends! Its HUGE!!!

I have the same problem what the differences between EGING PE lines AND ALL Other Lines??????
Quote:I have the same problem what the differences between EGING PE lines AND ALL Other Lines??????
 Hi Ted: Greetings from the USA....to answer your question to the best of my knowledge......about 40 Euros...LOL! PE lines specific to edging cost a lot of money and that is a supply/demand thing.

OK...since I have not gotten an answer this is what I am going to do.....The make a line here called Spiderwire Ultracast Flouro Braid....it is 50% PE and 50% Gortex....it sinks!! Most PE lines don't.(They Float!!)

So if you are fishing a beach, a jetty a seawall where you are casting a single squid jig YOU MUST have a sinking Braid or you are going to have a huge problem as you will have a big belly in your line.

If you are fishing a rig with squid jigs tied high and low with a sinker to get you to the bottom, from a boat or other elevated platform any PE line will be OK.

A sinking line will serve both applications. I have a reel spooled with 10 lb Test Flouro Braid, a 125 meter spool costs about $20 US. To that I have connected a 3-4 ft shot of Orvis Mirage 2X flyrod Flourocarbon Tippet...it is 6 lb diameter (0.009") but it is 12.5 pound test.

Why do I like this....6 lb test is fine for squid but if you get snagged on kelp or other debris...you have a chance to get your squid jig back.

Also the way we rig a high low rig here is to tie dropper loops, and cut one side so now you have line to tie your jig onto. This knot only holds about 50% of the unknotted strength. So again you have insurance.

Squid Jigs are very hard to come by here in the USA and they cost a fortune....

If you cannot get these lines in Greece then try and find another small diameter sinking braid...they are very popular in Europe for Carp Angling. Again you want something in the 10# test category. Heavy braids will not cast small jigs very far. The Squid in the USA will drive you crazy and many times I need to drop to a 1.5 size jig. I routinely fish 1.8's and the largest I fish is a 2.0.

As for rods....If you translate jig size into weight you likely need a lite FW rod capable of throwing 1/16 ounce to 3/8 ounce...so rods used for finesse fishing for LMB here double up as squid rods.

Its great to have "name brand" tackle but like anything it seems that there is money to be made when a buzz is made around species specific tackle.

Good Luck...let us know how it goes. If the wind will stop blowing here I will try it all out...the squid are still around but the end is near.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinking Lines Mr_snapperman 1 5,036 01-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Last Post: glen