Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to set up a basic newbie rig for squid fishing.
I just got into squid fishing from a friend. He's gone a few times but I don't think he knows what he is doing.

The squid I'll be going for are in WA state. They are just small opalescent or California market squid

Right now what I have is some generic pole I bought from Big 5. The length is 6 1/2 ft, line weight is 6-14lbs, and lure weight says 1/8-3/8oz.

I'm not exactly sure what all that means but it seems light enough for squid fishing, right?

Before posting, I looked online to see if I could find some basic information about what I could use for line, lures, and bait.

I think I want to go with fluorocarbon but am I supposed to replace what came with the reel or should I just use an "FG Knot" to tie the lines together?

Also, why would I choose to tie lines together rather than replacing what's on the spindle?

Thanks for your guys' help!

(maybe you guys could post pictures of your set ups  :thumbsup2: I'd love to see them!!!)

Hi mate first of all I think the rod you are using is a bit to short if you are fishing landbased. You need a longer rod to cast out those jigs far enough say about 8'6". A good starter rod to get would be a Rovex EGi Squid Wrangler Rod made by Jarvis Walker and they are pretty cheap to. As for the reels and line get a 2500 reel loaded with a good quality braid from Japan say about 10-15lb would be good and leader go about 10lb flurocarbon leader. The reason I say get braid is you have more feel and better casting. As for your jigs visit this guy www.worldfishing.com.au he has high quilty jigs for very cheap. I hope this helps and good luck with your squiding adventures
I searched for 2500 reels. Not exactly sure what to be looking for though.

A  very good reel is the Shimano Stradic C14 in 2500 ,its near perfect .A great entry level squid rod is the ''Salty Evolution Egi Rod''  8ft 4   on sale cheap at Eging 2 perfection on Ebay.I own both and they out perform or match my far more expensive Egi outfits.Good Luck fella

Any rod and reel will do to begin with. JUst head out and have some fun, meet some people and ask lots of questions. A 7-8ft rod in the 2-6kg range is fine, some light 8lb braid and a small 200 size reel will have you having a ball. Get lots of jigs, and try them all, shiny, dull, glow, uv etc ewtc

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yamashita Oppai Sutte and the Assist Rig Joe A 0 2,351 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Joe A