Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squid in WA Area 7
Hey I'm new to the forum and the sport... I've read through the posts here on the puget sound and it seems like you have a great group of knowledgable squiders!

I currently live up north here in the San Juan Islands and have spotted squid near the surface in the evening last year at the end of summer... But from what I could gather from forum posts, people here are saying there's not much of a fishery up here?.. Is that true?

Anyway, any info any of the members could shed on the subject would be much apreciated... And who knows, if there is any kind of fishery up here, then this could be the beginning of a new thread on the forum.

Thanks for your time and any info people would like to share.

- Alex 😜
If you can see them, you can probably catch them. Most squid come in through the straight and take a right at Whidbey, just like the salmon and head south. It's not that there's no squid up north, it's just that area is not a hotbed of squiddy activity. I have heard of people occasionally catching them at Mukilteo or Everett, but not often enough for me to head up there. From edmonds south you can be guaranteed to catch some squid pretty much every night. I think I got skunked only once last winter.
Thanks for getting back to me Liam. I'll have to keep an eye out this summer and fall as we head into winter again. Any other members of the forum that has any info on area 7, I'd love to hear about it.
...also has anyone heard of people running some kind of squid rig on the downrigger while fishing for kings? The kings and the squid are down there...I don't know... It seems like you could catch them near the bottom in 100ft of water. But maybe when you're trolling the rig might be moving too fast...
People catch Humboldt squid in the straight while fishing for coho. Those are big ass squid though, 20 lbs or more