Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
caring your squid rod...
hey guys, just thought i'd start the ball running

How do you care for your sKuid rods ?

Any breaden squid rod users at the forum ? I took a leap of faith and got the Breaden Spice wider range. Tis a Wicked piece of material and have caught many-a-squid with it but am particularly concerned with how to care for them.... Especially after reading that water must never be allowed to enter the rod blank.. on the breaden website

Yikes, and to imagine I've rinsed my breaden squid rod the same way I have washed my other rods before ( not thinking much on what it does to the blanks).Just wondering if anyone experienced any trouble with their skuid rods ?

There was one day during squidfishing, the top female ferrule suddenly slipped away during casting and I was a bit astonished but gave it a really good wash as soon as I returned home.

If moisture or water manage to get into the composite blank, is there a way to dry it completely? Or do I just send it over to a good tackle shop to give it a good repair/maintenance and return it to 10/10 condition?
Mine usually go into the shower with me when I clean up.

I find they clean up better with warm water, as it removes much more of the salt, then I give them a quick wipe over with a warm damp cloth, especially around the guides.

I give them a quick flick to remove water and let them stand in a corner to completely dry before storing them back in their bags.

No, I don't force water into the blank and try to keep it out as much as possible.
[quote name='Ojingo' timestamp='1342506625' post='24825']

Mine usually go into the shower with me when I clean up.

I find they clean up better with warm water, as it removes much more of the salt, then I give them a quick wipe over with a warm damp cloth, especially around the guides.

I give them a quick flick to remove water and let them stand in a corner to completely dry before storing them back in their bags.

No, I don't force water into the blank and try to keep it out as much as possible.

[/quote]

Thanks for the reply man... wot model did you get ? showering them is wot i usually do, wiping them and putting them away to dry off.

Do you find any changes in the action of the rod? they are still whippy as they should be, I hope..
Well I keep the tip at an angle so it's next to impossible for water to enter it.

The butt section is sealed so no issues there.

It's not a Braeden, but a Yamashita Whizzer's Jive & a Rapala T-Spec.

No issues at all.

If you're really worried, wash it at the sink. Use warm water (not hot) and a clean cloth to rinse & wipes down.

As long as your not filling the blank with water, you shouldn't find any issues.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Squid rod dilemma custom made or Japanese Rod Tommy Truong 2 5,315 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Tommy Truong