Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Winter Squid ?
Hi Experts,

I'm new to this but I was able to catch quite a few squid Dec - Jan without much fuss.

Then had a spell.

Recently trying again around the shore with no luck, not a touch.

However I've been fishing offshore in about 40m water and seen 2 big ones attached to flathead. They let go near the boat of course ( leaving quite big holes in the fish )

Are squid around the shore in Winter?? More Shy ??

Any advice would be helpful.

Oh i'm near Batemans Bay if it matters

Thanks in advance
as far as im aware they are the same in winter
[left]squiderboy[/left]
  • + 1 for the same in winter. Saying that, you will generally get bigger ones throughout the colder months. Give it ago and you will still get em!

i had heard that but i wasn't sure
[left]squiderboy[/left]
Well this is GREAT news. I like the sound of them getting bigger !!!!!!

Perhaps I've just been unlucky and will persist.

I'm new to squidding but love it . Lived and fished here for a long time and just discovered the inkers on my doorstep.

They were making great entree and produced good results as bait.
I was under the impression, in nsw, that they're in deeper water now due to more stable water temps.

And return to shallow water around the end of July or early August to spawn.

Anyone got firm data?

You might be right Ojingo .

As we were fishing in about 40m when to my surprise a Squid came up attached to a Flattie.

Needless to say he let go near the top and disappeared in a flash.
Any winter feedback for Sydney squidding for 2013??? :rod:

Quote:Any winter feedback for Sydney squidding for 2013??? :rod:

Mate I'm getting some squid my biggest one to date is 32cm hood. Shoot us a PM if you ever want to go for a squid fish as I live in Colyton not far from you
yes its taken a lil while this year, but they definately r getting bigger, the quantity aint there (apart from the arrows, there everywhere atm) but the quality is good.

on tuesday (20/8/13) got 3 calamari biggest 32cm, yesterday 21/8 got 3 biggest 25 ,got a monster 2 thursdays ago (8/8/13) in terrible conditions 11knts winds,20knt gusts add night and a lil rain. regulary get calamari in the 20's

theyre there, u just gotta put the hours in lately ive been finding the rougher the weather the bigger.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/r1je.jpg/'>[Image: r1je.jpg]</a>

thats the green eyed monster (don't laugh it was windy n freezing.)

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/202/el94.jpg/'>[Image: el94.jpg]</a>

and the 32cm the other day.
Yeah awesome
they some nice calas!! Stinging to catch my first Southern. Also noticed your interests. Rotorhead too?

I tink I know where you are. On the other hand that's a top catch mate
Quote:they some nice calas!! Stinging to catch my first Southern. Also noticed your interests. Rotorhead too?
yeah bud! buzzer 4 life
Quote:I tink I know where you are. On the other hand that's a top catch mate
its no secret where it is. i often here ppl say "this place isnt like how it was" n "you dont catch as many as u use too"

i never seem to have much trouble... even the locals get them when they could be bothered coming down to get em.
went out for abit this arvo/nite(3/9/13) managed a 10cm cuttlefish(i thru back) and a monster 42cm southern calamari. was over the moon.. :woot:

put up a awesome fight ud swear it was a kingfish, he peeled the reel ,had 3 massive runs that went 30metres

on 1 he tryed to screw me over in the reef, then another half run. then right at the end he still didnt want to give in.. wat a machine..

anyone thinking of going out this week, u should! good tides, no moon, and mostly all the wind has gone!! :thumbsup2:

(im going to try to go out later this week keeps u's posted)

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/ihcy.jpg/'>[Image: ihcy.jpg]</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/560/p1vw.jpg/'>[Image: p1vw.jpg]</a>

That is a healthy looking specimen ! In the harbour or open ocean ? Did u get him on a glow jig ?
Awesome catch! Went to my local last night and caught 3 pissy arrows. You able to PM me where that is if you don't mind? Just want a fucking southern cala! haha.

yeah that white glow yamashita is doing most of the damage but been getting a few on the gold foil regardless of the colour.

been doing a little squiding outside, but there been bigger in the bays n harbours atm. but like i said in there earlier post there isnt many cala's getting about just 1-3 for all that work.

like i said if ur free, get out this week if u can, conditions are good.