Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woods Hole Ma.
Anyone who fishes and posts here, how about a report on the Falmouth/Woods Hole action?
[url="http://capecodfisherman.net"]http://capecodfisherman.net[/url]

[Image: sq5.gif]
I am in Falmouth for a couple/few weeks and would like to find some good spots to fish and pals to fish with. Let me know if you would like to go, and I'll get the bait. I see some good territory in the "Fjords" inlets. Maybe someone will share a good spot?

Nice squid animation, did you do that youreslf?

DRC
Yes on the animation...no to the fishing. If you want squid, try down in Woods Hole at night behind the aquarium on the commercial dock.

If you are looking to catch fish, there won't be much around for a couple weeks. Try the point below Nobska light in a couple weeks for early bass.

Most of the Falmouth inlets should have scooly sized bass shortly, little poppers or swim shads. Good luck.

Took a few casts off the dragger dock tonite, nothing. Cold, windy and low tide.. Stay tuned folks, It's gonna happen soon.

They're definitely in - People have been on the NOAA dock for the last 3-4 days and have caught quite a few squid every time. I was there tonight and (as always) caught absolutely nothing, but everyone else was pulling out quite a few... I wish I could figure out where I'm going wrong.
Most the squid are in chatham
Hi Woodshooligan, I fish the Vinyard for squid and usually do pretty good. I use a short (5 foot) graphite, very sensitive rod, and here is a main point, I use 4 pound test. I like to use small jigs, 3" or smaller, and the Martinetti prawn in orange or pink or green are my favorites. You can get a good price on these and many others from squid jig warehouse on the net. I do use a small snap ahead of my jig, did it to make jig changing easier on my old eyes, but it seems to help. I use tiny shiny brass ones like freshwater guys use. I bet if you try the little rod with the four pound line your catch will improve. Some of the newer Martinetti prawn jigs, (the ones with strings in the nose) have smaller weights than the older ones and don't sink fast enough. I simply take a soldering iron and carefully add a little solder to add weight to the existing one. I also get rid of the string and add a small screw eye (stainless, available from Cabela's). I have often wondered about squidding in the Hole, especially when stuck on standby in the fall. I'd like to know more about squidding there and will post Vinyard squid info in the fall. Hope these tips help improve your catch, these methods do work well down the sound in Menemsha.
[quote name='woodshooligan' timestamp='1334901503' post='24406']

They're definitely in - People have been on the NOAA dock for the last 3-4 days and have caught quite a few squid every time. I was there tonight and (as always) caught absolutely nothing, but everyone else was pulling out quite a few... I wish I could figure out where I'm going wrong.

[/quote]

Are you speaking of the town dock? There is a sign saying no fishing after hours. Do they not enforce or am I on the wrong dock? The NOAA ship behind the aquarium is right up against the parking lot.

I'd Like to get some time in while I am working down here. But want to find the right place, for both squid and comradery.
Thanks a lot for the replies, I am referring to the dock right behind the Aquarium. It's entirely possible I have missed a no fishing sign there, but it's definitely not enforced (at least I've never seen it enforced, and it's generally pretty full of people, they even drive right onto the dock). Here's a link to the dock I mean: [url="http://g.co/maps/ezj9j"]http://g.co/maps/ezj9j[/url]

I was using 20 lbs mono, and I'm thinking that may have been a big factor. I switched to 14 lbs fluorocarbon, and if that doesn't work I'll try something even lighter (The 14 lbs fluoro I have actually breaks around 10 lbs even with the recommended knots tied with a lot of care, a 10 lbs mono I have will break around 12-15 lbs with those knots).

I went by the dock (late) after work tonight and people were definitely still catching squid. I'm going to give it another go tomorrow though. I also got a fairly small (3.5 in) pink yo-zuri (couldn't find the martinetti locally, but may order one) that I'm going to try. I'll post how it went tomorrow.
Got the location, thanks. The 3.5" Yozuri is a good lure also, pink is a good color. The thing about very light line is it gives the jig better action. It has nothing to do with the strength or invisibility, well maybe invisibility, but it is the action you can't get with thicker line. Even a cheap small rod and reel with 4 lb test will outfish a 7' or larger rod with 12-20lb line. These squid don't fight and don't weigh enough for 4lb to be a problem. Hope you get a bucket full !!
I will give it a try later today and post if I have any luck.

Thanks for the info on the location.

Are they nice sized? Reports I have seen from Newport is that they are th largest in years.
Well, tonight was my first (semi-) success. I used a small pink yo-zuri about a foot over a 3/4 oz sinker on flourocarbon line and got 3 squid. between about 11:30pm and 1:00am. I was definitely still out-fished by the nice Vietnamese people who seemed genuinely happy for me when I caught my first one.. About the location, you're right DrCiro, there is a sign. It's definitely not enforced though...

I ordered some more really small jigs and will try thinner line soon. Some of the more successful people definitely got over a dozen squid in 3-4 hours or so (They already had a bunch when I arrived). I had one 'normal' size one and 2 really big ones (for around there), so I'd say the reports that they're bigger this year are definitely plausible.
Just left woods hole, plenty of squid caught by the guys that were doing it right.
[quote name='woodshooligan' timestamp='1335422948' post='24497']

Well, tonight was my first (semi-) success. I used a small pink yo-zuri about a foot over a 3/4 oz sinker on flourocarbon line and got 3 squid. between about 11:30pm and 1:00am. I was definitely still out-fished by the nice Vietnamese people who seemed genuinely happy for me when I caught my first one.. About the location, you're right DrCiro, there is a sign. It's definitely not enforced though...

I ordered some more really small jigs and will try thinner line soon. Some of the more successful people definitely got over a dozen squid in 3-4 hours or so (They already had a bunch when I arrived). I had one 'normal' size one and 2 really big ones (for around there), so I'd say the reports that they're bigger this year are definitely plausible.

[/quote]

Look me up when you get there, I can show you some of the tricks and technique.
Sfoxnh, were you there last night..4-26? I could use some comradery from the wiser than I as well.New to the squid bite but totally hooked.-Thanks
[quote name='degenerate' timestamp='1335574990' post='24511']

Sfoxnh, were you there last night..4-26? I could use some comradery from the wiser than I as well.New to the squid bite but totally hooked.-Thanks

[/quote]

No, i wasn't there last night but 2 of my buddies were there... I will be be there tonight. Look me up.
It's ok night last night.
Buddy and I did 2 and a half bucket last night pictures are too big to upload. Unless someone tells me an easier way to upload it I tried resizing
[quote name='Garren' timestamp='1335790696' post='24528']

Buddy and I did 2 and a half bucket last night pictures are too big to upload. Unless someone tells me an easier way to upload it I tried resizing

[/quote]

You mean this ?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Can't complain, it's not even May yet and squids are in like crazy ...

Good luck everyone ...

Saturday night - 4/28 ...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Woods Hole 2016 season Tranjasont 5 2,805 24-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Last Post: vito
  Woods Hole 2015 fishermonkey 2 2,268 03-06-2015, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Tranjasont
  Woods Hole 2014 Squid Action Report cirodimegliophd 10 3,594 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM
Last Post: CoastalLifePhotography