Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stonington, CT - 2012 Squid Season
Has anyone ever gone squidding in Stonington Harbor, or the waters off the harbor?

How about the Mystic River or Noank?
I have not gone yet, but I plan to try this season. I would like to know this too
I would love to go squid fishing for the first time. Please if anyone have any info, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Yeah I'll def let you guys know as I find things out. I just ordered a submersable LED light that should be effective. Do either of you have a boat? It would probably make things easier.
Yes, I do have a boat. Can you tell me what you need to squid fish like lighting, bait, etc.
People typically use squid jigs. They come in many variaties. Yo-Zuri makes some good ones and they are on sale at Benny's right now too. As for lighting use something submersable, brighter the better. I have one we can use if you want to go out.
kops501 i'm willing to try that in the stonington area with my boat. let me know when things get closer. May right??
piscivore: that sounds good to me. And yeah it generally starts in May...I'll follow the reports closely
kops501, so there's squid around the stongington area? That mean i don't have to go all the way to RI? Please let me know when u r going out. I usually launch my boat in Mystic, but willing to drive a few more miles to the Stonington State Baot Launch. Is that where you launch at?
uptech200: yes, there are squid in the stonington area. I have not targeted them before, but I know that they come around. They might be in a little thicker around RI though. I don't own a boat, but my fishing partner keeps his at Greenhaven Marina in Pawcatuck. I've never targeted squid before, but we have seen a ton of bait balls on the depthfinder around Watch Hill and Misquamicut. I'll def go squidfishing as soon they come in, so I'll let you know when I do. I'll gladly go out with you on your boat. I have my own gear and I'll chip in for gas, etc. I also have a good submersable squidlight we can use.
Heading out tonight to the harbor. I'll let you know tomorrow how it turned out. Tomorrow (Saturday) night would have been my first choice, but the forecast is not encouraging.
Thanks RustyMorr. Good luck
I got a few last night. I'll be back tonight.
RustyMorr, any luck on Saturday night?
I'm looking forward to hearing the report. If it's worthwhile, anyone want to go this week?
Got a few Saturday night, less than Friday night, but they're definitely out there, so good luck.
rusty, any more info than that? did you get them in the harbor? how many 5, 10, 15, ?

Kops i'm defiantely interested in going but got quite a bit going on with the turkey season opener and all right now esspecially if nmbers are light. but if and when the numbers are out there, i will go for sure. I'm really backed up for another week or so but maybe second week of may? be nice to know where. i'd rather not go as far a misquamicut. my boat is 17 feet like to stay inside of watch hill at night

bob
May sounds good Bob. I'm sure we can find a good spot inside of watch hill.

Can anyone recommend a good spot for me to try from shore? I have a good submersable light.
I went out last night with my buddy Squiddy-Eyed Pete from about 11:15 to 12:30. It was very slow--one small squid each. Windy and cold. Maybe tonight?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:717]
Thanks for the report. I'd consider going out tonight if you want

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stonington, CT 2018 Squidders Unite! RustyMorr 19 5,565 08-06-2018, 01:39 PM
Last Post: JANZ
  Stonington, CT 2014 Squid Season BlueKayak 29 8,438 14-05-2015, 04:31 AM
Last Post: CoastalLifePhotography
  Stonington, CT - 2013 Season RustyMorr 14 3,548 02-06-2013, 01:36 AM
Last Post: RustyMorr