Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What squid jigs (brand, size, etc.) work best for my location
Hello All,

I live in Southeastern New England and would like to squidfish in the following locations:

Goat Island Bridge, Newport, RI

Block Island, RI

Menemsha, Martha's Vineyard, MA

Last summer I stayed on Martha's Vineyard and went squidfishing one evening in Menemsha. I used one of those white squid jigs that was purchased at a local sporting goods chain.

I caught one squid.

I was fishing on a lighted dock and the squid were all over the place.....

A man standing next to me caught a squid on every cast....he told me what type of jig he was using but I forgot..

He did, however, turn me onto this site..(at least I remembered that).

If anyone can recommend what works best for them in those locations that would be great.

Please advise.

Mike M
I do not fish in those exact locations but out in Nantucket Sound where I do go - Hyannis and west to Cotuit - it is Yo-Zuri pinks hands down. I have seen guys fishing jerico and other type lures 10 feet from my boat catching absolutely nothing while all hands on my boat are pulling them up 2 at a time full tilt. Other color Yo-Zuri squid lures work fine also. I am partial to pink because when the bit slows a bit and I am rigged pink/blue the pink seems to get hit more often. Others must be partial to pink too because in the middle of the squid run here if you try to buy a pink locally you will likely be unable to find it.
I'll second what doggie said, I used to squid off GI bridge every season. Always had my best catches with the yo-zuri, pink color best for me, followed by green and then blue. If you can't find at a local bait shop or sports supplier , like Cabelas in CT, I would suggest looking on ebay, just search squid jigs, trust me, you'll find some there......

GI Bridge tip, before you get to the bridge itself, on your right hand side you will see a little harbor, surrounded by 3 sea walls, the first corner (next to the road leading to bridge) can be very productive, more so than the bridge itself. Many set up camp there with lights and such, all you need is your rod and squid jigs, just stay near someone with light, you will do good....
My best advice is to look at jig size and depth of water over colour, although some colours work better than others.

Squid like to hide in the weed beds on the bottom, if you can target your jig closer to the bottom you will improve your catch rate.

Most quality jigs have a set sink rate so you can count the time it takes to reach the bottom and make sure you stop before catching the weed.

Jig size can make a huge difference, we have had days out with nothing on 3.5 jigs and swapped to 2.5 jigs and bagged out.

A few extra dollars spent on quality jigs can often mean a better catch.

Cheers

japtackle.com.au
Find us at [url="http://www.japtackle.com.au"]japtackle.com.au[/url]

Like us at [url="http://www.facebook.com/japtackle.com.au"]facebook.com/japtackle.com.au[/url]

Follow us at JapTackle

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Tried Size 1.8 Jigs With Great Success ? Joseph Loh Joo Guan 2 4,597 24-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Last Post: xALmoN
  Opinions On Size 2.0 Squid Jigs ? Joseph Loh Joo Guan 3 6,624 19-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Last Post: Joseph Loh Joo Guan
  Eging In Singapore ? What Squid-jig Size To Use ? Joseph Loh Joo Guan 1 7,037 27-06-2009, 06:04 AM
Last Post: r4211z