Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
arrow squid off margate
Hi everyone,

I'm new to tassie and would appreciate any local knowledge on how to catch arrowhead squid. In south australia we get our share of 'normal' squid but I've never come across arrow squid til a few nights ago off margate jetty. They were massive, aggressive and seemed near impossible to catch on normal squid jigs. They grabbed my jig about 5 times and when my rod loaded up (fully cos they were massive) with gradual pressure they seemed able to just 'spit it out'???

I've heard of them being caught on normal squid jigs.......I just dunno how after seeing them the other night.

I really want to catch one and any suggestions would be great. (I don't really fancy the idea of big nets which i have heard of)

Thanks
Hi yas,

Arrows are pretty aggressive that's for sure! I have caught a few around the Tasman Bridge while fishing for Aust Salmon. They were taken on medum sized silver slices meant for the salmon, when my fishing buddy tried to catch them on a jig, he could not get them to stick.

I would suggest next time they are around (should start seeing them late next month with heaps around from early Dec thru to march) give a 20 or 30g silver slice a go! They fish like a small salmon or mullet at times.

They make great bait but the best ones for eating are the Southern Calamari by far. Starting to hear of a few reports of some decent sized calamari down your way at the moment. Margate (Dru Pt), Kettering and Gordon being the best bets.

Hope that helps.