Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making squid jigs
Hello,

So I have recently picked this hobby up as I have been going squiding a lot lately (just jigging off the docks). I find the tackle for these simple creatures to be very expensive and was curious as to making my own. Only problem is that I find very very little info on the web about squiding in general. Seems like no one does this anymore....I have also not found any resources as to how to make these little buggers.

Was wondering if anyone here has a link with a "how to". I picked a few jigs up at a local Asian market and this is what I am trying to mimic as it seems to be the hot commodity for the squids.

I know someone on here posted a link realted to making jigs and what not but it doesnt seem to work...

[Image: KGrHqRHJCcE63YFIJu2BO54mz2LE60_12.jpg]
I see you fish in the Puget Sound for squid. I have made some jigs like those, it really isn't that hard to make. How I make mine is I use old bic pens, take out the ink and cut the shell to the size I want. You can use nail polish or glow in the dark paint to paint the body. As for hooks I buy them from Jon at www.squidjig.com, he is located in Auburn, Wa. To add weight to the jig, I use hollow core lead coil, the ones used for drift fishing, and add that in the pen shell. To put it together, I use a stainless steel shaft that is used to make fishing spinners.
Buy your jigs from Japan and save money.
[Image: Untitled.jpg]

So here is my general setup I will try. Don't really know much about the mylar tubing and heard that you can seal it with a saltwater resin. Anyone know anything about this.

The photo might be a little small. sry
There are many different ways to make jigs. But, weather they catch or not is the real test. I've only had one jig style out of ten actually catch a squid. While other people I know who make their own who have been at it a while do quite well with their jigs. That's why I buy theirs!

Jigs from Ted's in Lynnwood.

Squidcandy jigs.

And jigs from a guy named Steve.

Colemans jigs.

There is also a guy named Tony who makes jigs which get a lot of action. I don't think he sells them though.

I'm still trying different ideas though.
When using mylar such as everglow make sure you coat with waterproof clear epoxy. The mylar will stain black otherwise.

Squid Qoute of the day "Oh Oh here he comes again."
I agree, epoxy is the way to go. I wouldn't go with epoxy that goes yellow within a year such as Elmer's 1 minute epoxy.