Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Sound squidding.
Being new to this, I wanted to read up on it in the reg book. I could not find anything in the regs under marine areas, and am planning to squid in Steilacoom. I know its year round, but when do they run and what are the best jigs to get? When is the best tide and what shoud I bring?
The regs just say that you need your own container and no more than 4 jigs on a line at a time. Most people use 2 or maybe 3 but they tangle too easily. I like to have the duolock swivels. I make leaders for my bottom jigs with them so I can change colors quickly. As far as what to bring in addition to jigs and a pole... you will need to decide on that yourself. Some piers wont allow generators. Some have light receptacles so you can bring your own light. You should just go out there when the action picks up and see for yourself. Oh, one really helpful thing I learned from the asian people that flocked to the pier last year. They put a corkie on their line so they can see where they are. I thought it was dumb until I realized it also helps others see where you are so you dont have jigs locked together. I use a glow in the dark one because I like to see the baitfish attack it but color doesn't matter. Style points do count for uniqueness though.
Also, the squid rules are the same throughout the state. They are towards the back of the reg book. I believe just after or just before crabbing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Sound squidding TNTfishguy 1 3,472 17-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Last Post: gusgus
  Squid in Olympia / South Sound area? PhoenixDownRawks 7 8,340 18-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Last Post: cowgirltrouble68