Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squidding In Oregon
Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and did a search in the forums and only came up with commercial fishing for Humbolt squid off the Oregon Coast.

Is squid just found out there in the Puget sound area specifically or do you think there is opportunity to fish for them out here in Oregon off a dock/pier/jetty? I haven't found much info at all related to Oregon, but am wiling to give it a shot next time I make a run to the coast after a day of fishing for salmon/perch.

What sorts of conditions I should look for in terms of environment? Depth? Rocks? Seaweed?

There is a public pier in Yaquina Bay (Newport), behind the Rogue Brewery that is pretty popular for Dungeness crabbing. I might give it a shot there, but I'm not sure if the area yields the depth needed from the dock. I don't think I've seen anyone there jig for squid, and maybe for good reason - but I also haven't found any information that may tip people off about it in that area.

Any information that would help me identify a spot would be appreciated! I would love to find some places in Oregon to give this a shot.

Thanks so much!
The squid out here in Puget Sound seem to like sandy bottoms. Depth varies. But, lights seem to help a lot. A number of people bring their own lights either using a close outlet on the pier or bringing their own light rig. Squid jigs vary. The schools come and go during the night. Seals will kill a bite fast when they show up. Go to www.squidfishingwa.com for some good info.
Supreme,

Did you end up going fishing in Newport or elsewhere in Oregon?

I am planning on hitting that coast sometime - possibly as far south as Coos Bay.

I'll ditto Mekin's comments as I fish in the Puget Sound - he is right on about how to catch them here.
I'm also interested in more info for Squid fishing in OR, I know you can do it off a boat, but can it be done off a jetty or a pier some where?

Im getting married in March Ive been trying to research different honeymoon ideas, and one is to drive into Oregon and/or Northern California. What would be nice places to see and do in the middle of March?

Should you loved this information and you wish to receive much more information about How many people work at Mohegan Sun i implore you to visit the page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where To Jig For Squid On Oregon Coast? pdx_deisel 1 6,882 28-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Last Post: squidjigdotcom
  Newport, Oregon Hawkeye 3 9,940 04-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Last Post: glen