Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LOOKING FOR GIANT SQUID JIGS
Greetings to all,

I'm very grateful to have found this forum today. I am a commercial tackle dealer in Chile and would be very grateful for help with finding the manufacturers of a very heavy duty hand jigging (not machine jigging) squid jig, used for giant squid.

We have lots of giant squid in Chile and I'm looking for good jigs for the local fishermen. I have attached a photos which shows two jigs. The shorter, thicker jig shown in the photo is by far the best of the two models. It is quite heavy at 1.7 Kgs. (3.75 lbs.) and has a stell central axis that is 10 mm thick and that is one continuous piece of steel from the ring on one end, all the way the opposite end, where there is a lock nut that holds the jig components together. The jig hooks themselves (the rings of hooks) are are 6.5 cm in diameter at the hook point end, and the wire used for the hooks is very sturdy, with 4 mm diameter. The total length of this jig is 38 cm.

On the contrary, the longer, thinner model shown in the attached photo is simply too weak for the very large giant squid in Chile. The steel central axis is only 5 mm in diameter (half the diameter of the shorter, thicker jig described above) and therefore tends to bend with use. Also, the smaller size hook rings on this longer, thinner model (3.3 cm. in diameter) tend to not hook the giant squid as deeply and securely as the the much larger hooks of the shorter, thicker jig model. The longer, thinner jig is also too light for Chile, at only 0.68 Kg. each, even though it's length is 50 cm.

Finally, the shorter, thicker jig has a marking on it that reads "KMC". So far I haven't been able to find the original KMC manuacturer on the Internet. Any info or leads about the KMC manufacturer or other manufacturers or distruibutors of similar models (similar to the shorter, thicker jig) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all,

Ross Grange

Santiago, Chile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ross

go to the giant squid fishing section of this site and start looking there...it may be helpful

mu
make squid your friend...then bag them