Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Squid are on!
I'm new to this forum but suddenly have a craze for catching squid so I thought I would sign up.

Okay so last week I was down at black point where my dad has a place (I'm 17). I drove down with one of my mates and the weather was great. (no wind, clear waters etc). It was a dodge tide so I wasn't liking our chances of fish off the beach so we decided to throw in a few squid lines with floats on and jarvis walker razor backs as the sun set and ended up catching a dozen squid within an hour between us.

The next day we decided to put a little row boat in (could also have easily been done with a canoe or any boat at all- the weather was that great!) and rowed out about 400-500 metres off shore to where there were sea weed. At first we anchored and tried our luck without floats and only got about 6 in an hour. We then decided to pull up anchor and just drift along. There was a slight breeze that took us from the point towards the boat ramp. We bagged out on squid within 3 hours and the time just flew! Some were quite small, but majority were over 1.5kg. We found that the best spot was about 500 metres-1 kilometre out from the boat ramp down at black point (it sounds a long way but on a nice day it is very easy to get out- we were in a 40 year old row boat which could barely fit 1 person let alone 2 and that was just fine). We did not try with bait and only used razor back squid jags, but they worked a treat! Just thought I would share that the 1.5 hour drive was well worth it. I would predict that Ardrossan would be the same around now or anywhere around that area.

Dimi.