Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squid fishin at night
Hi again fellas.

Ok, as you probably all know I'm reletively new to squid fishing, having only really caught em on a few past occasions oportunisticly (read had a go at em when fishing for other species). I'm now starting to specifically target squid a bit more.

Bought myself a Gladiator 7 foot Egi rod & matched it to a Shimano Sienna 2500. Nice starter outfit I reckon (so far).

Now, I also do a lot of snapper fishing. Hence I'm going after squid not only for a feed, but also as a source of fresh bait for the Reds (snapper).

When chasisng snapper I like to be fishing for em at least 1hr prior to sunup/sundown.

That means when fishing the morning I usually hit the boat ramp at about 3am, onto the mark by 4 (depending on where I'm heading to) & have everything setup with about 1.5-2hrs up my sleeve before daylight hits.

What I now want to do is procure a few squid prior to heading onto the snapper, which means chasing em in the wee, dark hrs of the morning.

What I'm looking for here are a few tips on chasing squid at night. I'm not talking about setting up a commerical rig or anything, just the best way to attract squid & whether jigs would be better used or the ol' 'bait jag' method? I'm mainly boat fishing but any tips on land based squidding at night would also be appreciated.

Also, I've spotted those 'Yo-Zuri' squid floats with the inbuilt light in my local tackle shop.

Has anyone used me? Are they any good?

Any tips/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks again all.

Bill A.
I just tried to find those yo zuri floats online, but can not seem to find them. Does anyone have a link?
Hi

I have fished for squid for some years now, only during daylight and have had mixed success. I am now wanting to try fishing at night and was planning to launch from Hillarys boat harbour. Does anyone have suggestions as to location and depth etc, and also if I should use a light floating on the surface, or whether it might be best to use a floodlight mounted above the deck - say 2 to 3 metres so that we dont get blinded ?

Also wanting to find out if Squid are caught all year round off Perth and if we have any Ocean Squid in deeper water

Thanks for any replies

ericl1947- ericl@wadata.com.au